S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How difficult is it re-align the front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 04:35 AM
dsl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult is it re-align the front bumper?

Got into a small fender bender - I hit a car in front of me (5-10 mph), slightly off center, passenger side. The only damage you can see is that the whole bumper/air dam unit has shifted maybe 1/4" to 3/8" in (under passenger headlamp) and over (towards drivers side).

Just wondering if a bumper re-alignment is very involved (due to oil/inter coolers, fogs, tight space, etc.). Do you think, it is OK to go to a 3rd party body shop or should this be handled by an Audi dealer? Also, do you think I may have damaged the unibody?
Old 10-22-2001, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your bumper shocks may be bent.
Old 10-22-2001, 05:56 AM

Default Ha, I have yet to find a shop that can get it straight. Good Luck

When I got in an accident, dealer swapped the entire bumper. It looked straight when I picked it up, but it shifted, and no one has ever gotten it on correctly.
Old 10-22-2001, 06:16 AM
dsl

Makes sense...might be worth going to Audi then if I need to replace the bumper shock - bummer
Old 10-22-2001, 06:40 AM
dsl

Default Wondering if I should just live with it?...

I know if I go to Audi, they'll say to replace the whole bumper - what did that cost you, if you don't mind be asking? Other than the likelihood of compressed/bent bumper shocks noted below, my damage seems totally cosmetic, you have to look pretty closely to notice the shift.

Aside from obvious cost/insurance issues, I just don't want a bunch of mechanics removing all the body work just to tell me they need to order parts, replace the whole bumper, leave the car for weeks, or worse, screw something else up.
Old 10-22-2001, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It took my dealer three times to almost get it right. Finally, I did it myself.

Don't forget to align the headlights too.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:03 AM

Default for what it's worth.....

I have seen an S4 in the service dept. at my dealer with the entire bumber cap removed and I pointed it out to the sevice rep and asked him "did the car get wrecked?" and he said no that they remove the bumper often to replace parts in the nose cap.

He said they were looking at the IC on this particular car but that is a 'standard procedure' to pull the bumper off . If that is in fact, the "truth" then I would imagine the dealer may be able to get the bumper to look right. At least is sounds as if they get a good bit of 'practice'.....

Who knows really, dealers aren't always telling us the truth as we have all read on this board MANY times over.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:11 AM
dsl

Default Questions:

The more I read, the more I am inclined I am to do this myself as well. Any special tools required? Can you reasonably access the key bumper mounting point with rhino ramps and all grill covers/bottom engine shield removed? Is there enough play in the brackets to shift the bumper around or do you need to "bend" things back?
Old 10-22-2001, 07:26 AM

Default Cost for a new bumper...

Bumper was $600, but after all was said and done, it was up around $1200. Luckily I paid $0. I was at work and in the building when one of my idiotic co-workers decided she needed to back her oversized truck into my front end. Funny thing is I was parked about 10ft behind her. To this day I have no understanding of why she backed up so far. When it happen everyone expected me to blow up at her, instead I was laughing my *** off because of the rediculously poor driving skills. Of course she was one of these people that didn't have insurance and had to give me a personal check. I love that. Oh yea, it took me 3mos to get the bumper from oversees. I imagine this is much quicker now. This all happened back in early 2000 when S4's were way too rare.
Old 10-22-2001, 09:28 AM

I was quoted 380 for a new bumper....

Quick Reply: How difficult is it re-align the front bumper?