S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How do people do MAF scaling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J.MOSS did this with my "Hitachi-fied" MAF...

I made a visit to Jeff a couple of weeks ago. He didn't like the amount of air being measured. So, we took a silicone coupler, that fit perfectly inside the MAF, and stuck it in there.

I questioned it, because I didn't understand the reasoning behind upgrading to a larger diameter MAF, if you are just goin to reduce it with that coupler. His explanation, from the way I remember it, was that it helped focus the air around the sensor itself. It could get a better reading.

Don't know if that helps, but... my two cents
Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default err no. read my link above

velocity * area == mass air flow.

MAF measures velocity. Reduce the area, and the same air flow will read higher.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default on a related note...

the MK1 TT 'guys' have been upping there maf diameter and fuel pressure as part of a mod for some time now.

effectively maf scaling in practice. i think they call it the "BAMM" mod.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Close.

Actually,

velocity*area=Volume flow rate.

But your argument is still true.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default nit picker

hehe, and we don't "measure" mass flow rate, we "measure" estimated volume flow rate and "CALCULATE" mass flow rate.

You would <b>totally</b> have to stop air flow to "measure" mass flow rate

soooo, tell me how the B5S4 ECU calculates load. That is the million dollar question =)
Old 11-02-2007, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default argh

the MOMENT i hit post i knew somebody would call me on that..

figures it would be you
Old 11-02-2007, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Two points: :)

1. The whole trick about the MAF sensor is that it <b><I>does</i></B> measure <b><I>mass flow rate</i></B> regardless of air temp and density. So the ECU gets the mass flow rate directly from the sensor and doesn't have to calculate it.
2. You say <font color="blue">You would <b><I>totally</i></B> have to stop air flow to "measure" mass flow rate </font>
Please explain.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Oh boy, I am going to have to find my text books one of these days with you around =)

Calculations have to be happening somewhere.

Correct me if I am wrong here but for the sake of our argument can we agree on "this" particular topic that;

mass flow = the weight of air passing per unit of time

how could any MAF sensor possibly know the total actual weight of "flowing" air without bringing it to a complete stop? It could be accurately estimated for sure, but the "actual" weight could only been known by confining a known volume of air and weighing it, no??

Thanks for the conversation Vonk, you always get me using (or trying to) the old noodle. When my head is clearer maybe I can come up with a better argument, hehe.

On a side topic, do you know how our MAF actually works? My mind is still stuck back in the days of vane type air meters. Maybe that is why I am arguing a pointless topic : )

Cheers
Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default To make a long story short, the MAF sensor measures the air flow by exposing a heated film --->

---&gt; element to the air stream. The temperature change of the air, as it streams over the heated film, depends on the number of air molecules coming in contact with the film, and this is proportional to the air <B><I>mass</I></B> flow. The ECU calculates the MAF rate from appropriate voltages received from several temp measurements in the sensor.

Enjoy the long story. <ul><li><a href="http://s4wiki.com/wiki/MAF#Logging.2Ftuning.2Ftrouble_shooting">The long story</a></li></ul>
Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default all very good info, i guess I probably didn't word myself very well initially

my point was that it is still a calculated value. Meaning even if you know the mass around the probe you are still calculating the total mass of air passing thru the housing. The only true way to get a %100 accurate measure of mass would be to totally stop a set volume of air and weigh it. Everything else is just a good estimate.

Sorry, I am a stubborn ***** when I have been drinking =)

Thanks for the good back and forth Vonk. It's all just nit picking. Have a good night sir.

Quick Reply: How do people do MAF scaling?