S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How I spent my "moment of silence and rememberence" ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2001, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts
Default How I spent my "moment of silence and rememberence" ...

On this <b><i>National Day of Prayer and Rememberence</i></b>, I decided to spend lunch with my wife (7 mos pregnant) and two year-old ... appreciating the most precious things in my life.

I then pointed my patriotic blue wagon down a country road, turned the radio off, and enjoyed an isolated half-hour drive through the beautiful Hill Country of Central Texas.

How'd you spend yours?
Old 09-14-2001, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How I spent my "moment of silence and rememberence" ...

Took a bus from my office up to Marquette University for a special mass at the Gesu Church.
Old 09-14-2001, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Today @ 4 pm, everybody at work is going to light candles outside...
Old 09-14-2001, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Going driving later today hopefully. Been in a benchmark and have not really

had the week sink in until now. Got to see/play with my 2yr old son last night and this morning after a long drive back home this week. Pretty much a zombie currently due to travel and the weights of the happenings this week. Just saw Billy Graham on TV an hour or so ago. Still has it.

Hoping to clear my head with some fresh air...
Old 09-14-2001, 10:54 AM

stood absolutely quiet in Daley Square w/ a gazillion other Chicagoans
Old 09-14-2001, 10:58 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Along with my boss and several co-workers, we went to a prayer service in a packed church.

The President asked us to pray, so we did.
Old 09-14-2001, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Staring at my monitor. I don't appreciate the "prayer" thing, but I did the rememberance thing.
Old 09-14-2001, 02:42 PM

Default Sounds a bit selfish, but I assume you did not mean it.

The prayer was for them, not you. You don't have to believe in anything to show respect for other's beliefs.
Old 09-14-2001, 03:39 PM
hwj
AudiWorld Super User

Default Uh...

Not everyone is religious. Non-religious people don't pray, and when they're asked to, it's kind of insulting -- even if "the prayer is for someone else".

We (non-religious people) are still fully capable of observing a moment of silence to honor and to think about those who have died. For the most part, it's really the same thing as those who pray -- just not with the spiritual overtones.

And if that doesn't get my point across, let me put forth this (highly ridiculous) analogy. A bus full of innocent and well-meaning people, who all happen to be atheists, is bombed by some twisted religious fanatics. Would any of you out there, who are faith-holding people, not feel uncomfortable if you were told: "In honor of these innocent people, we'd like to call for a moment of silence wherein you will contemplate the fact that there is no god."

If that sounds abhorrent to you, then please don't expect those of us who are non-religious to not whince when you ask us, "Why didn't you pray for those people?"

Argh. I told myself I'd stay out of getting into religious discussions, but I guess <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/other/msgs/82351.phtml">today</a> it's just been unavoidable for me.

(Also, Jim, this isn't personally directed at you -- just an observation, and letting off some steam.)
Old 09-14-2001, 03:54 PM

Default I respect the wishes and beliefs of the victims. I do not assume I have the one and only "truth".

And the selfish part is saying "Look at me, I'm too smart/good to pray for you", when saying nothing would've been more appropriate, if you did not want to honor thier wishes,

Quick Reply: How I spent my "moment of silence and rememberence" ...