S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How many people who bought the Stasis "rebuilt trans w/hardened syncros" got 100% of their core

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exactly, rumor mill.. good way to make a decission. Not sure why everyone thinks

it is unreasonable for STaSIS to do this. They are trying to keep the cost down but if your gearbox imploded and there are items that are above the 'normal' rebuild then it would only be reasonable to expect them to charge for the added parts.

Or if you like they could just charge 4k for each rebuild regardless of the condition of the gearbox.

Put yourself in their shoes... it is a unknown until the box comes apart.

It would be like asking an engine builder to put new rings and bearings in the motor... only to find out the crank is shot as well (I know not likely but just an example). Do you think it is fair for the shop to pay for the crank as well when they were just trying to keep the costs down?

Not sure why people are havin a hard time getting their heads around this.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think when people hear "rebuild"

They "EXPECT" the internals to all be changed/revamped. Now I'm not saying that this is what STaSIS is advertising, but it's more of an unfounded assumption on the part of customers. I think STaSIS could clear this all up by always adding a disclaimer in print anytime they advertise the rebuild. I can understand why people are mad, hopefully they were informed BEFORE hand that they may incur other costs. If so, then it is fair.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Haha, noted
Old 08-29-2006, 07:30 AM

<Ding>
Old 08-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Former Vendor

Default This is the whole point, minus the fact that a rebuild with all new gears would be...

insanely expensive. We have to replace the damaged hard parts of the transmission if we receive a core with damaged parts. This is what the core charge is for, because if we didn't care about the quality or even getting the old transmission back why have a core charge.

This program is extremely cost effective, even if you have to purchase a new input shaft or loose gear, which we only charge our COST out of the core. We are happy to always send back the damaged parts for your records. As Jason states in his post, would you want that input shaft in your rebuilt transmission?

Think of it this way, our close ratio rebuild has 3 new gear sets in it on top of the standard rebuild and this drives the cost to nearly double the standard rebuild. If we replaced every part in the gearbox it would cost $10k at the least, it's not how rebuilds are done. When you get your engine rebuilt at a machine shop your crank stays, your rods stay, pistons stay if they are in good shape, though they hone the block, put new rings in, they can balance/blue print and then they build it up with new bearings. Do you expect them to toss a new crank, rods and pistons in on a rebuild? If they are damaged and it's discovered during the build they tell you and you pay to replace these parts, not the machine shop.

With our transmissions we include all new wearable items and refurbish and strengthen parts we reuse. Each slider is hand refurbished, the 1st loose gear, 2nd loose gear, input shaft and these refurbished sliders head out to be strengthened above stock so we don't see that possible gauling/work hardening of the 1st and 2nd arise and the slider will remain functioning above the stock units. These right here are the weak areas of these gearboxes and we are addressing them in a manner that is massively cost effective, rebuilt European units are $4k+ unshipped and factory new units from Europe are $8-10k unshipped. US Audi rebuilds from dealerships are $4-6k depending on your source and guess what? They reuse all the gears and hard parts as well but do not treat or strengthen anything.

Every customer I talk to on this program is told the risk involved in the core program. They can happily send their transmission to us for a rebuild and if we find damaged hard parts we need the customer to get these parts or the transmission is useless. Having the core program is for the customer's ease, literally 1-2 day down time. It's a solid program and the rebuilds are solid, as shown by the fact that we will NOT reuse hard parts that have an ounce of damage to them.

This is likely the most popular single item for the S4 B5 through STaSIS at the moment and to think 4 people have had issues with internal parts needing to be replaced out of the core charge is fairly amazing.

Cheers,
Old 08-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Former Vendor

Default Every single slider is hand refurbished, new synchros and the sliders are cryo and REM polished...

so you have fresh sliders coupled with new OE Audi synchros and the sliders are strength treated and polished. The sliders are a common failure point on the 1st/2nd gear with these transmissions, this leads to the common I can't get into 1st and 2nd complaint. We make certain that each slider is safe for refurbishing, refurbished and then sent out to be treated in a manner that increases strength so that the slider doesn't faulter again in the same manner as before.

Cheers,
Old 08-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Former Vendor

Default Specifically for the B5 S4 I'd say the most labor hours of any product that comes out here...

go into that program. I guess popular isn't the best phrase, however it's one of the most called about programs and there are always transmissions on the bench and units out in the field waiting for core units to return.

Cheers,
Old 08-29-2006, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I believe you.. here's the webpage I read awhile back

It seems your rebuild is the best deal out there, even if I end up buying a new first gear, etc<ul><li><a href="http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/ind1.html">http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/ind1.html</a></li></ul>