S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How much work is involved in tuning a (conservative) Homebrew setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much work is involved in tuning a (conservative) Homebrew setup?

Scenario:

I am currently Stage 2. Running GIAC X software, MBC in parallel, AWE Twin2, Piggie Pipes, and my original K03s (damn things just won't die!).

In about 2 weeks I am planning to pull the motor, install straight K04s, VAST Ceramic Clutch, Bosch 42# Green Giant Injectors, Platin spark plugs, and the VAST RS4 airbox/MAF setup.

Ideally, I would like to lemmiwink tweak my GIAC X software to a level that is fast, but stable with those parts. I don't need/want to push the car to the ultimate limit; if I lose a few horses for everyday drivability and reliability thats ok by me.

I am lucky to live in an area with a good concentration of other Homebrew Stage 3+ owners, who I am sure can help guide me with the tweaking (I know the basics, but would like a pro to watch over my shoulder and teach me the nuances). My questions are:

1. How much time and effort is involved in tuning/tweaking to a level where the car is drivable and reliable? If this a process that takes hours, or an ongoing process spanning days/weeks/months?

2. Once it is tuned, will I constantly need to be tweaking the GIAC X chip, or can I pretty much just set it and forget it?

3. Will any of the parts I am planning to install make this project more difficult (i.e., are there any other parts I should get instead)?

I know there are quite a few posts in the archives in regards to this, but most are from members looking to extract ever last horse out of their setup. I'm wondering if my more conservative approach/goal will make the process different for me.

Thanks again for all of your help guys :-)

I know I sound like an annoying noob right now, and I suppose I am when it comes to this... just give me some time and I'll pick it all up.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:04 AM

Default answers:

1) if you are dedicated, you can finish tweaking in 2-3 days (given that you know what you're doing and have the right tools)

2) once it's tuned, you can leave it

3) Not really

2-3 days for #1 because I'd want to gather data from different days with different conditions. That's all. Say, you tweaked it when it was kinda chilly and the air was dry... vs. hot and humid... you get the idea.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:11 AM

Default Interesting, thanks. The thing I am not exactly sure about from reading archived post is whether...

the car is drivable during those initial 2-3 days while it is "fine-tuned"? Is it a matter of just smoothing out and perfecting it, or would the car be unstable (e.g., driving it would cause damage, or it would be stalling out and/or leaving me stranded)?

I hope that question makes sense.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It depends on your setup. With my RS4 MAF and bluetops, the car actually ran fine with ZERO tweaks.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Running "fine" is all relative. The question is, are/would you be satisfied with the results?...

These cars (ahem, programming) adapt so well to turbo upgrades and manual tweaks that it will run and run quite well "out of the box". The question is, when will you be satisified? If you're a micro-manager and everything must be absolutely perfect, you'll spend an hour per day for months dialing the thing in.. once you make one change, it effects another-- and there is rhyme to the reason, it just takes a while to find it.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:00 AM

Default Thats great to know. I'm sure (knowing me) that I'll probably be tweaking with it all the time, but

my concern was whether the car would be drivable before having it dialed in. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nah, I think you'll be fine. :-)
Old 05-29-2006, 11:45 AM

Default The best thing would be to go to VAST and have them do the install and tune. They can set you up ...

with a wide band O2 sensor.

Also, you'll want VAG-COM and ECUx.

Given the cost savings I'd never ever buy an off the shelf kit. My car is a very basic home brew Stage 3 and it is very fast IMO.

My FATS times are consistently in the 3.4's during decent weather. My timing goes from 6-8 degrees to 18-20 at redline. My correction factors are 0-6 degrees and the car had 80k miles on it when it turned Stage 3.

I just ran an EVO the other night that ran 11.8-11.9's and I held with him both race all the way out. I ran 100 octane unleaded and just used X chip without any Lemmi advancement.

I have XR and I could've added +3-5 degrees with Lemmi. I can't wait to see what the car can really run.

Questions answered?

P.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Driving out to Mr. Piggie himself would be tough (I'm in PA), but possible...

any idea what he charges for that? Of course I can email him, too... but I'm not sure if the cost is common knowledge or not.

Regardless, thanks for all the info!
Old 05-29-2006, 12:48 PM

Every set up is different, you'd have to go through it with him in detail.

Quick Reply: How much work is involved in tuning a (conservative) Homebrew setup?