S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How nice is Achat Gray in person? It seems hard to tell from the pics...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How nice is Achat Gray in person? It seems hard to tell from the pics...
Old 04-14-2001, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default don't think I'd call it "nice" but...

it is ABSOLUTELY stealth. I was near a TT in Acht grey in traffic and peripherally it was INVISIBLE. It was exactly the tone of the surrounding pavement.

This is a double-edged sword though...nobody is going to see you when they need to, but then again, nobody will see you when you'd rather they didn't.
Old 04-14-2001, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default from the pics ive seen it looks similar to porsche's seal grey...

maybe you could stop by your porsche dealer and look at that color
Old 04-14-2001, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, I've seen the shiny primer in person... it's very shiny primer.
Old 04-14-2001, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very low key, almost not a color, you will blend into the road...
Old 04-14-2001, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default lets see.....

TONS of moronic idiotic unattentive "channel surfing" drivers on the road. Do I want to be invisible, or be seen ???

no brainer... long live Imola !!!

Earnie

P.S. Here on the wet coast, Achat Grey would be like having a Romulan cloaking device on your S4... ack !
Old 04-14-2001, 01:31 PM

Good for speeding though!
Old 04-14-2001, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I saw it a bunch in Europe - I'd say it's definitely my fav. color
Old 04-14-2001, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default well... here's my "scientific" poll....

I have 4 friends, and one brother in law, that are federale's. After extensive discussions, here are what these 5 say;

- if they are setup to nab speeders, ie a radar trap, it does not matter what colour car you drive. They setup in locations that either give them a long clear view of "incomings", or "hide" and snare you as you blow by.

- if they are meandering along, and a speeder comes zinging towards them, in MOST cases colour is again irrelevant. perhaps in some instances, they may notice a brightly coloured car sooner.

- where they all tend to agree is if you pull an illegal move (u-turn, multi lane changes, lane jumping) a brighter car will get their attention sooner. However, in these cases, speeding isn't the issue. I don't know about the US, but here in BC, those kind of offenses are quite minor.

"be alert.. the world needs more lerts"

Cheers,

Earnie

Sorry, I just don't buy the "bright colour.. more speeding tickets" theory. I've had just about every conceivable colour of car, and none were more prone to tickets than any of the others. What is a major contributing factor in receiving tickets is the "colour" of the drivers mindset. When I was younger, and much more brazen and foolish, I got tickets. I have received one speeding ticket in the last 10 years of driving (and I do drive aggressively), and that one was directly related to what got me tickets when I was younger.... stupidity and not paying attention to my surroundings properly.
Old 04-14-2001, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default well...

I have definitely noticed that any time I've seen a police officer, either on a motorcycle OR in a car, he was looking directly at me...even coming the other way on Rt. 5.

Certainly a darker car doesn't give you immunity and a radar detector is what I consider MINIMUM protection (nothing without the addition of a stock pair of swiveling eyeballs) but I strongly believe that you are being NOTICED far more in a yellow car, therefore when you're being bad you have a HIGHER chance of catching the attention of the constabulary than with a dark color car.

Another observation was that when I've owned sports cars and driven them fast I IMMEDIATELY began to get tickets only after I put on a louder exhaust...again...I DREW ATTENTION to myself so was far less likely to be overlooked by an officer.

As always, it's my DRIVING that causes me to get tickets but I have definitely noticed that I draw much more attention from the Police than Silver ever did.

Quick Reply: How nice is Achat Gray in person? It seems hard to tell from the pics...