S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How often should springs be changed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often should springs be changed?

I have the H&R Sports springs and the Bistein Shocks (grooved). Been on for what will be 2 years next spring. I've heard that some springs begin to sag after about 3 years of use...any suggestions?
Old 12-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Elder Member

Default well, springs usually do pretty well. i wouldn't change them unless

there is a noticeable sag or some kind or noticeable difference in compression (ie too soft etc). Also, IMO if you are feeling its a bit floatier then before its likely that the shocks are wearing out rathar then springs losing any spring rate (should be relativel fixed) or anythint like that.
H&R springs are warrantied lifetime against sag though i hear you need to "prove" it to them(if it is sagging) to get any kind of help.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Never. Springs only go if they were defective to begin with.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:32 AM

Default Don't say never...

that's a long time...
Springs will "sag" over time. Over time, I mean 50 years. I have a 33 year old Alfa Romeo and it's a known fact in the 'historic' car world that the rear springs "go bad" after a while.
The H&R springs should last a long, long time.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Only if they used inferior metals or didn't harden them properly. Otherwise, forever. :-ppp
Old 12-09-2004, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Somebody needs to call GM and tell them about the rear springs on their large cars...IMO those

springs were WAY underdesigned for the loads they were going to see. Ever see one of those things; they have about 2mm of ground clearance in the rear (bumper just about draggin' on the ground) and it is every stinkin' one of them. I'm always amazed whenever I see one (I work in an urban area, so they are a lot more common than one would normally expect...). Not Audi related, but I couldn't help but think of that after seeing your post. =)
Old 12-09-2004, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Only if they used inferior metals or didn't harden them properly. Otherwise, forever. :-ppp

Yes, you're right and that's the point. What is the correct material property and hardness to ensure that a coil spring never "sags"?
I can't think of a design or technical specification that ensures it.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Elder Member

Default those were old air supsension systems too expensive to repair...not springs.

thats why you see the dead hooka in da back look on those old GM cars.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh, OK. I had one of those air suspensions in my old Lincoln Mk VIII.

You darn tootin' they're expensive to fix! I will NEVER get an air suspension system ever again. It's not a question of if they will fail; its when will they fail and will you get stranded somewhere.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:55 AM
Elder Member

Default yup, cool as they were, the sucked...as you can see with all those GM cars

they all fail eventually (i cringe to think what allroad people will do if theirs fail as Audi = even more $$$)...luckiy for the GM folk they aren't stranded, just dumped in the back with ****ty ride. aftermarket companies do sell traditional spring/strut suspensions to replace the air suspensions though (which i did't know til i googled just now)...

Quick Reply: How often should springs be changed?