S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How to remove rear license plate backer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2000, 05:47 AM
Betsey

Default How to remove rear license plate backer?

The backer for the license plate is too large. Can this be removed and trimmed?

I attempted to investigate but seemed securely attached even after removal of two large screws.
Hints?

Anyone else trim the backer plate?

Also, has anyone replaced the nuts imbedded in the plastic? They are an odd size and I am unable to find suitable (stainless) longer bolts needed to attach the plate with a thicker frame.

Is anyone else as picky as I am? Your solutions are appreciated.

Thanks, Betsey the newbie.
Old 02-20-2000, 06:02 AM
Jim De Arras

Default Pull REAL hard!

I have done this mod, it can be shortened and painted. You will "slightly" expose two metal "dimples" in the trunk lid, but they can only be seen with your head below the plate level.

As to the mount, it is held on with those two screws, and some sticky tar substance used to prevent rattling. It will "give", pull slowly from one edge, paitence is a virtue, here. It will not be re-usable, but go to Radio Shack, and get a roll of "Coax Seal", which is bascially the same stuff.

There is a plastic brace rail near the bottom edge, that can serve as the new "bottom" edge, if you are good at plastic cutting with a dremel or whatever.

E-mail me if you have more questions. Pictures of my license plate are on my site below.<ul><li><a href="http://www.imola.org">http://www.imola.org</a</li></ul>
Old 02-20-2000, 06:11 AM
Betsey

Thanks! Beautiful car!
Old 02-20-2000, 06:13 AM
Jim De Arras

Default As to the embedded nuts..

I removed mine to paint the bracket, but re-installed them again. They are a standard metric size, any better hardware store, or automotive store, should be able to provide the right screws in stainless or whatever. Home Depot would have them.

That will be easier than finding SAE clip-in nuts, I'm sure!
Old 02-20-2000, 06:24 AM
Jim De Arras

Thank you!
Old 02-20-2000, 06:26 AM
Betsey

Default Re: As to the embedded nuts..

Unfortunately I struck out finding bolts at the local small hardware store and at Home Depot. At least in stainless. I found the stock bolts too short for the cover I want to install. All I could find are low quality stuff guaranteed to rust!

I'll keep looking.

BB
Old 02-20-2000, 06:47 AM
Jim De Arras

Default If you get desperate..

e-mail me the length, and I will get them for you, I'm in that store all the time!

The embedded nut clips have a closed back, to keep you from driving the screw into the trunk lid, so the length has to be pretty accurate in order to be able to tighten the plate and cover down well.
Old 02-20-2000, 02:21 PM
Betsey

Default Thanks for the offer...

I'll keep searching. The length I need is 3/4",1" max.
Old 02-20-2000, 03:33 PM
Jim De Arras

You do realize metric screws don't come in inch lengths? ;-)
Old 02-20-2000, 05:20 PM
Betsey

Heh, heh..you got me!