S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I can get GT's and manifolds for $4000. How much would a custom tune cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can get GT's and manifolds for $4000. How much would a custom tune cost?

Let's say another $3000 max for fueling components. I think I can get a GT setup out the door for well under $10k installed. I understand that ASP is the 'tuner du jour' and great at what they do, but where does the extra $3000-4000 in there kits price come from. R&D is not worth all that kind of coin. What am I missing here? I have a local tuner that can get the GT manifolds for a B5 S4 for $2200. What else is so 'proprietary' to ASP's kit? Just tossing around a few ideas.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you don't realize that good R&D is worth "that kind of coin" then try it your way. ;-)

Seriously, it takes a lot of R&D to figure things out that haven't really been done before. That's a general statement, but it applies to turbo kit development for sure.

If you want one-off prototype parts without it being properly engineered as a "system", I can understand that. If you want your car to run like it has a "system", then you have to buck up and pay the man.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Wouldn't the tuning be the most important, assuming the hardware is relatively the same?

Let's say I can get the same parts, and a custom tune by Garrett for $10k. Let's just say that, for argument's sake. Where does the $3000 mark up at ASP come from? Just seems excessive. I guess you are right in the sense that not everybody wants to, or has the means, to piece together the correct parts. This is where a kit comes into play.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is that niko's old stuff?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's the thing, you're assuming hardware is easy to get right. It's not. There's more to it.

Don't you think they are entitled to make a little money on their product? I'm not an ASP disciple, but I do respect any shop that sits down and creates something from nothing then gets it to market.

It's only reasonable to expect them to actually have some gross margin in ther kit. After all, small business is about making money (even though it doesn't often seem that way). I don't know what their margin is, but if it is close to $3k...good for them.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:48 PM

Default Niko? No. None of the parts are used. I have been talking with a shop...

in the mid-atlantic region that has access to GT manifolds for the B5S4, or at least I was told. They are putting together a price for me over the next few days. I was even told that Garrett from GIAC can fly in for custom tuning. I think it is going to be quite a bit less than ASP's kit. Like I said, just doing some research before I pull the trigger.
AudiWorld Senior Member

so you guys stole NIKO`S car,stripped it,then copied the gt components?where are you from ny?
Former Vendor

Default I don't think that is entirely true...

One off parts can be properly tuned and work well as a system on any car, as long as they are not micky-mouse and cheap. If you have an excellent exhaust guy make the headers and flanges for the downpipes, I think you can possibly homebrew a GT car. Sure tuning is the hard part, but companies can tune it for you I assume (EPL, GIAC). BTW Fueling for a GT car shouldnt be much more than $1200. Figure 500-600 for injectors, $300 or so for a MAF, and maybe a better fuel pump for a couple hundred, you are looking closer to $1000.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:49 PM

What hardware in that kit is not obtainable if I already had the mani's and snails?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What are you going to do about wastegates and Downpipes?

You will obviously need new DP's or at least flanges (that usually leak) to mount up to the GT hot sides. Those are included in the ASP kit btw. Then you will also need to deal with the wastegates and, if I remember correctly, a major hurtle for ASP. That is one reasons they are using external Tial wastegates. A good custom tune for GT's will probably run you another 2-3K alone. Good luck, but I think you are oversimplifying things a bit.

Quick Reply: I can get GT's and manifolds for $4000. How much would a custom tune cost?