S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I can get GT's and manifolds for $4000. How much would a custom tune cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That was EPLs typical price. ;-) I'd skip on the GIAC front though. For the amount

of hardware involved its not really all that bad a deal from Autospeed, especially due to the availability of updates to the code. The poster may be overlooking quite a few of the costs, incidental and otherwise. The main rub I see from Autospeed is the necessity to have them install it.

I'm *all* for people doing it themselves though, but from a cost angle its not going to benefit them much.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor

Default wonder if ASP would ever just sell their "Fueling Kit" <more>

MAF, Accordian, Chip, Injectors...

That would be nice.

I'd pay 3k for that! :P
Old 08-11-2006, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry. Not trying to accuse you of stealing. I just find it odd that another shop shows up that

soon after. Of course, lotsa ways to design/do it. Are the wastegate integral or external? I'm sure if it's not ASPs stuff, they or EPL would be willing to tune it.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Former Vendor

Default IIRC there are other GT Manifolds available...

a la VAST
Old 08-11-2006, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wouldn't make sense for them. They'd spend a hundred hours a month

diagnosing problems unrelated to their tuning/parts. Total headache. The only thing I really want is the tuning software itself.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I guess that I see it as an engineer who's been there and done that. [more]

You can't just expect some master fab guy who works on X cars to make you something that'll work in Y cars just because he's good at X. If he doesn't know a lot about the application in question, all of his experience in the world may not help him accomplish the goals. Fabrication is not the hurdle here, it's the ability to design parts that work in an efficient and reliable manner over time. It's about being more than just a shadetree mechanic who read a Corky Bell book and thinks he can whip out turbo kits for an S4 and use Lemmiwinks to tune it.

The homebrew mentality is great, it's the hallmark of an enthusiast...but there are limitations. At some point car owners and shops get in over their head and just create oddities that turn the retail market into a joke. Empowerment is a dangerous thing sometimes, despite how beautiful it is. I'm not being an elitist here, just trying bring a dose of reality to the party. The performance things people think they can do is great, but sometimes the internet instills a false sense of confidence that ultimately leads to failure and disappointment.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Former Vendor

ha, i know. me too
Old 08-11-2006, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

vast is not in the mid-atlantic....
Old 08-11-2006, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm sure they will eventually when GT manifolds and Downpipes are more abundant

right now aside from one-off parts ASP is the only company with those part, so why should they sell the fueling separetly. It would probably only cause problems since their fueling would not work correctly with the one off parts.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Former Vendor

Default he said the shop he is going to is in the mid-atlantic...

doesnt mean that shop couldn't buy them from VAST/Innovative... right? :P

Quick Reply: I can get GT's and manifolds for $4000. How much would a custom tune cost?