S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I can't remember a topic that has generated more controversy than....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2000, 08:31 AM
Vijay

Default I can't remember a topic that has generated more controversy than....

this whole tire thing. First of all, I think most agree that these Bridgestone RE040's, wherever the hell they came from, is clearly not the best tire for the S4. It is suboptimal as a performance tire, it is by no means an all-season or winter tire. A max performance car like the S4 simply can not exercise its dry road and winter performance capabilities with a single set of tires. If you compromise winter tires, quattro is wasted. You might as well have gotten a front wheel drive A4 with winter tires, which will fare much better than quattro with all-season tires. Likewise, with all season tires, the dry road performance is below par. Audi should have done what they did with the A6 4.2 and placed the Dunlop SP9000 on the S4. This is a real max performance tire for a max performance car. If you don't care that much about max performance, and just wanted a solid, well performing, practical , all weather car, get the A4.
Old 02-19-2000, 09:12 AM
Ny Lawyer

Default I also have a bubble in my stock RE040 tires. I just came back from firestone and they told me

that they will order the tire on Monday, and it should be here by tuesday. They said that the only way that they can tell if the bubble is a manufacturer defect is to remove the tire from the rim and look in side the tire. He said that if the wall of the tire is split inside then it was damaged by road hazard. If it is still smooth inside then it is a maunfacturer defect. I have never heard anything like that. I would assume that if the tire is bulging there would have to be some sort of damage on the inside regardless of manufacturer defect or not.
Old 02-19-2000, 09:45 AM
Wes

Default Pirelli Customer Service Experience

Just a quick note to relate a Pirelli P7000 customer service experience. I had a few thousand miles on the tires on a 1999 Passat. They started wearing funny as a result of a bad VW alignment job from the factory. Pirelli replaced all four tires and paid for mounting and balancing with one phone call to the customer service department. VW refused to pay for an alignment because they said that I must have hit a curb. Maybe VW and Brigestone have a little to learn.

Wes
Old 02-19-2000, 11:15 AM
SilverS4Tip

Great Points. Now I'm *really* nervous about potholes...
Old 02-19-2000, 12:22 PM
Pk

Had bubbles on Michelins, smooth inside, Michelin still said road hazard
Old 02-19-2000, 01:01 PM
Jim De Arras

Well, I wish it actually took a pothole! :-(
Old 02-19-2000, 04:20 PM
Ron O

You should have been around on the A4 forum when Windsheild.cracks and distortions were discussed