S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I didn't see any discussion of the Grand Am race yesterday. Anyone else watch it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 06:20 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I didn't see any discussion of the Grand Am race yesterday. Anyone else watch it?

It sucks how they crammed three hours of racing into one hour of coverage, without explaining what happened during the breaks. At the end of the first hour of racing, the #4 S4 was still in the lead, but during the second hour of racing, the CTS-V was in front. I would have at least liked to see coverage of the pass for the lead...

But the crash of the #04 S4 was spectacular. Dropped one or two and got all squirrely. Too bad he didn't just stay off and try to slow down in a straight line in the grass (if that was even possible). Reminds me of my off at VIR last year. Pretty much the exact same thing, unfortunately. Oh well, at least he was okay. And it was great seeing the two S4s lead the way for a few laps.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default the Cadi's are doing well........................

Saw most of the race (I TIVO'd it). It's a shame that the S4's keep qualifying well but have ended up out of it a few times. The crash into the tire wall reminds you that, while quattro is nice for stability (on the road OR track), you can still find yourself in catostrophic situations as a result of carrying too much speed into corners.

It's interesting that in both Grand-Am and World Challenge, the CTS-V's are beating the S4's and RS6's. I hope this is due to the governing bodies underestimating their potential. I fully expect that SCCA (who always want a level playing field) to hamper the Cadi with lots of extra weight today at the SCCA race. Pobst has the pole in that one and I hope he does well.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not yet, it's on the pvr. How's KC?
Old 05-31-2004, 07:19 AM
Rest In Peace

Default At the ACNA VIR event in April, Pobst was there as a guest of honor and commented on the Caddies...

He said that they were indeed very fast and well setup. He said that he hopes that the governing body of the race series realizes that and adds some weight to equalize the competition. He seemed to imply that without such intervention, the Caddies would run away with the series.

I think it was great that the commentators in the Grand Am race, before the race started, said that they expected the Audis to give way to the Caddy very soon. When the #4 car held the lead for so long, one of the commentators said that he was surprised that the Audi was able to hold off the Caddy for so long. That's a great endorsement for the B5 platform - an overachiever.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:27 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Beautiful weather since I've been here. (Lack of) traffic is glorious. Home ownership is great.

I've been doing yardwork most of the weekends that I've been here, but I have several projects in mind, and I want to get them out of the way before the heat really sets in. I haven't really been out and about much, because I have so much to do around the house (still unpacking). One of these weeks, I'll be all settled in and can get out and explore a little bit.

How are things in DC? Lots of cicadas? Hot/humid yet?
Old 05-31-2004, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The cicada's are a great snack while driving. They fly in the window, you

rip off the wings and eat.

Weather has been decent, a little rain today, not much to complain about.

Glad things are going well.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Actually, Gary Sheehan, driving the #4 car, was under team orders to just stay in front of the ....

Cadillac. He was just keeping the Cadillac right behind him. Gary could have pulled away quite a bit, but that is not what we wanted at the time at that point of the race.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default At one point, the Cadi and Gary were really pulling away from the rest of the field.....

those two cars seemed to really have an edge early on.