S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I don't know why any of us care about the WRX commercials. (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't know why any of us care about the WRX commercials. (long)

First, no matter how fast it goes, how well it handles or how much power it's putting out.. the WRX is still a budget model Subaru that's pretty ugly. I wouldn't be caught dead owning one. I might take one on a test drive, or on a track for fun.. but that'd be it.

Second, the WRX is in a completely different category that the S4. WRX (like Trix) are for kids. The S4 is for adults. Why do you think we all slam 17 year-olds who come on this board braggin about the S4's dad bought them? Nobody would give two ****s if they had a WRX.

Let's be honest with ourselves.. we all have S4's.. a $40k+ car. Did you really buy it only for performance. I didn't. I bought it for luxury, looks, cachet, AND performance. I got everything I wanted with this car, except maybe good service.

Look.. Subaru is trying to sell cars. Go ahead. Their target audience is not the S4 audience. Who cares what they say. If you gave 10 random people an option of choosing either the S4 or the WRX, I bet you 9 out of 10 would take the S4. This is why WRX people will always envy the S4 no matter how fast their cars go. Their girlfriends will always rather be in an S4.

When I was getting my new tires on, some guy came up and said how his WRX could walk all over my S4 with it's 380hp worth of mods. I chuckled and said "You think so, eh? Well that's a nice little car."

Relax guys.. the WRX is a nice little car.. but it's no S4.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:50 AM
Banned

Default agree with you..it's just that I can't stand the fact that some little punk will...

hop into one of these WRX's and try to egg you on for a race...all of the time thinking he'll smoke any S4 out there.
What if an S4 commercial came out that put the E46 M3 in a lesser state?
Old 11-01-2001, 10:50 AM
Maestro

Default I agree. I test drove one yesterday - impressions...

It was a silver sedan, 5 speed. Interior is actually quite nice for a $24K car. Front seats are excellent. Momo steering wheel.

Performance? Nowhere close to S4. I tried 4,000 RPM launches - still not even close to S4.

On the highway - wind noise is horrible. Most of the noise is probably due to intercooler scoop on the hood. Performance is OK once you spin it above 5,000 RPM. Still not even close to the S4.

Handling by the way is nothing to write home about.

But again, for $24K you can't beat it...
Old 11-01-2001, 10:58 AM

good post. nicely said.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:07 AM

Default totally agree with you, it's just that those WRX ppl brag about

that Car and Driver article a little bit too much. Those information is BIASLY presenting to the public, no doubt, but that is just some cheap marketing technique. Only idiots will fall for that.... I guess they REALLY try to sell those cars out, look how many cars they imported to the US!!!
Old 11-01-2001, 11:16 AM

Default Keep on Keepin' on

Oldsmobile (now defunct?) made a limited production car in the early/mid 80s that purportedly went from 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds. It looked like the Cordoba my mom used to drive before my father got a real job. That's 911 Turbo territory. But would you really own one? Maybe if that was all you could afford. What's the point of comparison?
Old 11-01-2001, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Let them brag. True, I don't care for the way they advertise there car, but

it's nothing to get upset about. As long as you still like your car, it doesn't matter. I'm sure if any of us wanted one, we could get one. So, who cares. I remember when Chevy said in one of their commercials that the Corsica had a lower drag coef than a Porsche 928....given the choice, I know which car I would rather have.

Here's a little extra to show that it doesn't matter. My other other car is a 90 Beretta GTZ. That car ran a 68.8mph slalom back in 1990....that was right there with the NSX and other cars of it's time. Even today, that would put it very very high in that category...better than the M3 and S4....does that mean I have better car than those, nope. Just means it did well at that test. As much as I love that car, I would take my S4, an M3 or NSX over it in a second.

Let them have their time in the spotlight. It will be short lived in this day and age of automobiles.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did he really say that to you? Better yet, did he say what mods he had?

Most guys with fast cars wouldn't do that....they'll just let you do the talking and look like an *** when they beat you. I bet he didn't have ****.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yup.. he sure did

Him saying that is just more proof to me that WRX owners still envy the S4. Though, to his credit, he admitted the WRX is way down on torque next to the S4. His "walking all over me" would depend on RPM apparently.

I asked if he changed the factory turbo knowing that he would've had to to get that kind of power.. he did say yes. Also, he said he changed almost "everything" whatever that means.

Of course, he was at the tire place in a Cabrio.. no WRX to be seen.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:47 AM

Word!

Quick Reply: I don't know why any of us care about the WRX commercials. (long)