S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I feel sorry for future B6 S4 owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By your logic, we are all driving glorified VW's... Just remember that.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:39 PM

Default Gopp has an S4. You are on the S4 board. Before you start bagging on other list members

keep it focused and not personal. Second of all, your limited experience tracking a street car are hardly indications as to the quality of the marque. There are several experienced list members on here who track their S4's but do not experience the "fit and finish" that you describe. They experience rattles, etc... As for parts and cost of ownership, I can think of a whole host of street cars that I would track before I would ever consider the Audi. Then again, I am not a big fan of tracking street cars. There is nothing like a racing car.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:40 PM
Elder Member

BWAHAHAHAHA!
Old 09-16-2002, 06:41 PM

Default Pretty sad how some people get there car brand, and forget that their is still a whole universe out

there! 8-)
Old 09-16-2002, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I did...and define "performance"

Let me put it this way. From an early age on into my first 10 years out of college, I was convinced I was going to buy a BMW 3 series. I just ached for those cars.

A friend of mine told me to just try the "then new" A4's. After my test drive, I put a deposit and ordered my car. In one test drive, no other car I tried, even the bimmer, made me feel soooo good.

The Japanese? They build cars the way textbooks tell you to build cars. Boring.

The Americans? They're designed by MBA's.

The French? Nough said there.

The Germans? PASSION

BMW - Slightly faster, slightly better handling, plastic dash, squeeks and rattles

Mercedes - for your dad

Audi - The best of all worlds.

"The "S" class is for performance" - please define performance. Cause if you're going to say 0-60 go buy a Vette or Camaro SS
Old 09-16-2002, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You missed my point

My point was that my car has been through a lot, more than just an everyday driver. It's been hit twice and broken into (A pillar damage) once and tracked many times. With all that's happened to it, I have yet to get any squeeks or rattles.

I know this is not the best track car.

I have in no way made this personal. It is the S4 posters who went into immediate flame with the post of a few pictures and one article.

You've all assumed the article is true. And if it is true, then you're assuming that the S4 can in no way evolve. And I pointed out that Audi changed the 2.8 to 30 valves halfway through a production year.

If Gop-Dogg thinks the other cars are better than why does he still own an S4? It's a legit question.

Amro
Old 09-16-2002, 07:02 PM

Default Ah, stereotypes, and more stereotypes. Your ridiculous over-simplification

of cars, nations, and design deserves a response, but at another time when I have the time and desire to post (but it will be long). As for German cars, your opinion is interesting because it too comes down to over-generalization. You think your Audi has better fit and finish than say a BMW or Mercedes? That is nice, but the market (resale, etc...) says otherwise. Let me get more personal, I have many friends and family members with both Mercedes, Audis, BMWs, Jaguars, Lexus, Infiniti, etc... and have pretty great experience with cars in general (racing, etc...) need I go on? Audi does not rank at the top of that list for "fit and finish."

As for performance, you obviously didn't read my post. I said specifically that "straightline performance" is a major factor in overall performance. Handling, balance, feel, etc... are other major factors. With the exception of straightline speed my S4 (even heavily modified) is lacking in these areas compared to its competition. Who said anything about 0-60? I could care less about this stat...
Old 09-16-2002, 07:03 PM

Default "Hey Audi, that torque should be mine!"

To torque or to warranty, that is the question
Old 09-16-2002, 07:04 PM
Elder Member

Default Well, if by performance you mean an all-around assesment (power, steering, handling, feel, etc.)...

the Audi S class lags behind BMW by a generation. Putting a big engine in front to get good 0-60 times is not a big deal (although, Audi seems to be having problems doing even that). You really need to drive a BMW M-class back-to-back w/ an Audi S-class to truly understand the difference (its pretty big). Until you have, you have no place to comment on this topic.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:06 PM

Default Gopp is an enthusiast. Very simply, he and most everyone else on this board

has been let down by what they thought was coming (rightly or wrongly). The rumors were so much greater than this and the fact that the current S4 is such a great platform, that anything less would be bad. I hope you can understand this...

As for your car, you are very fortunate to have such a well-built car. I can assure you that not everyone has experienced the success you have. Hey and congratulations on driving your car to its limits! You seem to be a true enthusiast...

Quick Reply: I feel sorry for future B6 S4 owners