S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I FINALLY GOT MINE !!!!!! Details to follow:

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-1999, 11:59 AM
Tommy T

I FINALLY GOT MINE !!!!!! Details to follow:
Old 11-03-1999, 12:05 PM
Tommy T

Default Background (and thanks to Stu)

For those of you that have been following my intermittent postings, you know that I've been having a hard time getting an S4 because of trouble selling my high mileage A4 30VQM. I had to let my reserved S4 go back in August and I've been absolutely addicted to this forum in lieu of having my very own S4.

On a lark, I stopped by Audi of Oneonta (New York) on Sunday, just to check the inventory on the lot and they had 2 S4s -- a silver with Nav and a Black. I wanted Silver, but didn't want the nav. Thinking that they'd give the the same ridiculously low quote that my local dealer did for the A4 trade, I almost didn't call them. Boy was that a mistake narrowly avoided.

Based on an earlier posting by Stu, I asked for Darren Saint who got the dealership to offer me $6000 more for my trade than the local dealer. 10 minutes later, he had my credit card number and I had an appointment to meet him in Oneonta the next day.

I traded in my 91 Isuzu Trooper as well so a friend and I drove down there with both vehicles, did a little paperwork and came back yesterday afternoon. The car now has about 200 miles on it.
Old 11-03-1999, 12:09 PM
Tommy T

Default The Car:

I didn't want the nav option (too gimmicky, not necessary [I'm a man, I never need directions], costly and too much effort to learn) but I really wanted Silver since the A4 I was trading was black and I didn't want another black car again even though it looked SHARP!

I was smitten by the look of the silver which just appears to have been carved from a single block of aluminum. so the Car is:

Silver with Onyx leather (the interior I wanted too!)
Cold, convenience, Bose, nav
6-speed (for me there was no option here!)

38 miles at delivery. Smells like dead cow! I like that!!
Old 11-03-1999, 12:19 PM
Tommy T

Default The Deal (leasing info inside)

Langan Audi of Schenectady NY had offered me $15,000 for my 98 A4 QM30V with all options, but 57,000 miles. The lease payoff was $23K so no can do. Failed to sell it on my own for 2 months ;-(

Audi of Oneonta offered me $21,000 for the car, a $6,000 increase over Langan. I had been budgeting about $2,000 for the miles so this essentially got me out of the A4 scot free. Woo-hoo. The also offered to discount the S4 by $1,000 off MSRP without me even asking. Langan had said "Maybe $500, but lets see if your A4 sells first."

So altogether, AoO offered me a deal that was $6,500 better than the one at Langan. Sign me up.

Final lease terms:
$4,060 "drive off" includes taxes, security deposit, etc.
-$1,233 off because of Audi loyalty program (no sec deposit, no first month payment) =
$2,957 down

MSRP = $42,680- 1,000 = $41,680
Monthly payment = $610
48 months at 18,000 miles/year
Old 11-03-1999, 12:57 PM
Tommy T

Default The salesman: Darren Saint at Audi of Oneonta

Kudos to Darren Saint. Anyone who can take a drop dead stranger from shot in the dark phone call to enthusiastic customer in less than 30 hours has it really going on.

No bullcrap, games or haggling. I highly recommend his low key manner. I get no kickback for this plug, I just believe in recognizing people who do things the right way.

As of yesterday, the black/onyx/cold/conv/Bose/CD was still not spoken for. Darren'll hook you up with a great car at below MSRP. I know he has a few out of state customers, so give him a try. 607-432-8100.
Old 11-03-1999, 01:10 PM
RocketJohn

Excellent Update TommyTune! As a futureS4 owner, I like hearing about the new owner experience...
Old 11-03-1999, 01:34 PM
Tommy T

Default Driving Impressions after 169 miles (some raging debates addressed)

Q. What is more fun than test driving an S4?
A. Driving your own S4 without a salesman nervously watching the tachometer, the speedometer, the odometer and every little pothole from the passenger seat.

The ride home. Shifting at 3,500 or 4,000 RPM -- WHOA! speed limit is 65 not 85! Back off a little. Pouring rain? No problem!

Suspension
Not nearly as stiff as the one I test drove. (the salesman said something about the shipping levelers still being in the shocks). I had been worried about too stiff a suspension. I'm not an autocrosser, I just wanted a car with a lot less body roll than my A4 30V but I didn't want a punishing ride. The gold standard IMHO was the 540iM I drove a little while ago and for being considerably lighter, this car comes real close.

Seats
I was worried about the sport seats because I barely fit in the A4. I'm a very long-torsoed 6'2" and scraped the headliner in the other car. But the steering wheel travel seems longer which allowed me to move the seat back and recline a little more and I fit. Comfortably, too. Plus, the lumbar support is teriffic. Often when I use this trick in cars, my back starts to give out. Not so in these seats. For me, just the right balance between sport and comfort.

THE POWER!!
'Nuff said. Lag -- there, but not too bad.

Favorite shift
3rd to 4th. I love how after a strong pull in 3rd when you depress the clutch the shifter pops into your hand and naturally points it way toward 4th as if to say; "our work here is done, let's cruise"

Favorite new trick
Rolling stop signs in second gear. Torque, torque, torque!

Least favorite gear
1st. Over too quick, too shortly geared hard to shift into 2nd smoothly especially when pushing a little hard.

Number of M3s eaten so far.
None yet. Destroyed one Civic boy racer, though. Whoops. Didn't think some 30-something guy in a suit and tie driving a silver "A4" was going to give you much trouble, did you?
Old 11-03-1999, 01:35 PM
Tommy T

No B-Pillar rattle (YAAAY)
Old 11-03-1999, 01:43 PM
Tommy T

Default Other impressions

Xenons ROCK. These are the first headlights I've ever used that can make the road appear to actually be lit on wet, rainy nights. They're just awesome. So bright, so blue. I love how they brighten after they turn on. and the cutoff at the top is SHARP!

Potenzas
A little too much road noise for my taste. But the traction seems to be good. Took a curved onramp rated for 35 MPH at 65 MPH . Probably Corey S would have been able to keep it together even at 85, but I know my limits. Anyway, no squeals or complaints and very little jitter over expansion joints, potholes during the curve. Will search archives for recommendations on snow tires and wheels since Albany NY gets pretty hairy in the winter and I travel to the Adirondacks for work quite a bit.

6-speed
There was no choice here, but I'm getting used to how hard it is it get the shift in gear. Much more effort required than my A4, which usually only required the lightest touch. This one is definitely a grip and shove gearshift, not the snick, snicker from the A4.
Old 11-03-1999, 01:44 PM
Tommy T

Default RJ: You will NOT be disappointed ...

..... unless you've been driving a 911 4S for the last year.

Quick Reply: I FINALLY GOT MINE !!!!!! Details to follow: