S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I hear rattles under the S4 since DTS install.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hear rattles under the S4 since DTS install.

I am hearing a rattling sound under the car over even small bumps since I installed the DTS. I reached under there and grabbed the bar and it seems to be firmly in place, although I haven't taken a detailed look at it. I completed the install using the instructions, however I didn't use a torque wrench for the 13mm bolts or the 6mm bolts. What could be wrong?

I'm liking the DTS so far. Besides the obvious tranny benefits, the car is feeling a little stiffer now in the turns.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:44 PM

Default Welcome to the Good News/Bad News(TM) of the DTS. Yes, it will tighten up performance specs

for your S4, but you do have to at some point ask the question: "why did Audi build this vibration/engine dampening into the system?"

<flame suit on>

I found that when I had one installed, I did note more precise clutch/shift characteristics but I also could feel a *lot* more engine/drivetrain vibration in the steering wheel and through the floorboards on a constant basis. I ultimately decided that the feature I liked the most about my S4 was the smoothness of its overall feel on the road and yanked the DTS out.

I found the feeling of relief after I did so well worth it and sold my DTS without regret. The slop in the drivetrain is intentional on the part of Audi Engineering and is an integral part of the behind the wheel experience that Audi intended.

The functionality of the DTS mod is entirely a personal choice as to what you want out of your car, but is without a doubt a compromise of the original engineering intent.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:51 PM

Default I didn't experience any vibration after the DTS install.

Then again, I didn't notice that much of an improvement with shifting either. I guess to quote S4MadMan, "YMMV".
Old 03-29-2003, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Such is with just about every mod (well, minus the alcantara shift ****)

but heck , even that gets dirty. :-D
Old 03-29-2003, 06:57 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default He's talking about rattles, not vibration...

I really don't think those two words are remotely the same thing, so I doubt what you're describing is what he's observing.

Also, no vibrations here.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I'm so sorry I couldn't get the FM5's to you. They're still in storage awaiting shipment to Fikse. :

I'm just a lazy bastard and have no excuse, except my new toy is keeping me busy! :-D

Enjoy!!
Old 03-29-2003, 07:15 PM

Default The difference between a rattle and a vibration is merely a matter of degree.

Almost any minor flaw in the car can result in a rattle if excited by vibration in the frame.

I agree that I did not experience rattles myself, but could easily see it as a possibility given the extra vibrations that the DTS bar was transmitting to the car frame.

As I said in my original post, the utility vs cost of this mod is entirely a matter of personal choice about what you want out of your S4.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default At the same time, I'm also under the impression the DTS will protect the motor mounts when launching

Correct?

I know people that have broken the stock motor mounts without a DTS or snub
Old 03-29-2003, 07:51 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default No sweat...

Andy Hedin mentioned that he wanted to ****** up the one's I got. I pointed him your way!
Old 03-29-2003, 07:55 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Okay, but let's think about the manner in which the DTS functions...

it's easy to see *how* vibrations may be transferred into the cabin. There is now a tie from the tranny to the subframe, isolated by (essentially) a large rubber bushing. If installed properly, that should not rattle. Anything remotely described as a "rattle" is likely to be very different from the vibrations you experienced.

Quick Reply: I hear rattles under the S4 since DTS install.