S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I love this car....cool guy in an A8 on 95.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love this car....cool guy in an A8 on 95.

This morning while stuck in traffic I exchanged thumbs up with a guy in a nice Silver A8L..it was pretty cool.

We saw about half a foot of snow this weekend....and I haven't gotten around to buying snow tires yet, still running on 18s and S03s. Our driveway is pretty long with a short but decent grade going in and out..so its like a hill. Made it out and back in...I was like, HOLY ****...this thing is no joke. I couldn't imagine with snows on. Granted there was some sliding and slip but it made it up in unplowed 6-7inches of snow on 18inch S03s 8^0. On the icy and snowy roads the key was to take it slow and give myself room to stop and turn. I need snows...but was so proud the car made it where I needed to go and back without any drama.

Kick ***! Can't wait for some snows.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I believe the snow tires are a waist of money..in USA..where there is no snow on the roads (east )

all season are enough for the cold season.. the snow never lasts more that few hours on the roads..in USA ... 2flakes stsrt to come down and 50 huge truck are plowing them before they hit the asphalt ..lol..(j/k).(with exception of some northern states)
this is not north-northeastern europe .let's realistic..
Old 12-15-2003, 06:23 AM

Where are you located?
Old 12-15-2003, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Sponsor

Get some snow tires ASAP!!! I don't want to read a post from you about cracking up your new car!
Old 12-15-2003, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Sponsor

Default Performance snow tires are MUCH better than all-seasons.

And I'd never use crappy all-season tires in the summer. If you have to swap tires, best to get two good tires (performance in the summer, snow tires in the winter) than some mediocre tires that can just barely handle both conditions.

-Dave Pramanik
Old 12-15-2003, 06:27 AM

Default i agree to a certain degree.

having lived in Sweden for a few years, also during some of their worst winter storms in history...I agree that there is a lot more Plowing and public road snow clearing, salting, sanding here than in most of europe. Coincidentaly that is also why our roads suck so bad. But I like going to vermont to ski, so Snow tires wouldn't really be a waste. If I just went to the grocery store and back I'd agree with you that a good Hrated all season tire would be good for the winter seasons around here (CT)...but not if you plan on trailing up the mountains of Killington in the middle of a blizzard.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:27 AM

jeez Dave, thanks for the vote of confidence, man...haha. i have to call Zev
Old 12-15-2003, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Sponsor

Default Heh. Not doubting your winter driving skills. I just know that performance tires become...

hockey pucks in the cold and I've read too many posts about people cracking bumpers and such because they couldn't stop or turn.

quattro will give you a false sense of security because you can get going without much trouble despite the tires. But when it comes time to turn or stop, quattro isn't helping you at all.

-Dave Pramanik
Old 12-15-2003, 06:37 AM

Default very true....but as long as you don't get "SUV-syndrome" you should be okay..

provided you drive slow. But you don't have to tell me the car is on skiis. Thats why I need to call Zev, he has a set of winters I'm gonna try buying off of him....I can't go all winter long with S03s...haha
Old 12-15-2003, 07:04 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Agree with DAP...

For the conditions we see near philly, an H rated winter tire is a nice compromise. A little more aggressive than an all season, but much better dry handling than a hardcore snow/ice tire. I have Nokian WR's, which are technically an all season. Better dry handling and grip than most winter tires, but better snow traction than all season tires. Won't help you on ice though. Just about the perfect tire for our area.

Quick Reply: I love this car....cool guy in an A8 on 95.