S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I need a clutch..Spec stage 3 or Clutchmasters ceramic 4-puck? Opinions/Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 6 puck

and for the first 4-5k it was pretty harsh and had to be driven carefully. Now, after 13k or so it feels a lot smoother and is much easier to drive. It is also a good bit heavier and has a lot more positive feel for where the engagement zone is, very very good for racing.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I use a stg II/III disk w/ RS4 pressure plate. Works well...

Considering the piggie setup for a little added smoothness...
Old 02-24-2006, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was in Mark P's car...clutch seems fine, but shudders at low RPM engagements.

Not sure if it's still doing that, but some might not like that for a daily-driven car.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:56 AM

Default I have a spec stage 3 now, not too happy with it after only about 7k miles..

Despite a careful break-in(easy driving for about 1,000 miles) It held great for about 6 hard launches on the street, then I went to the strip, and on my first run it started slipping badly in 1st, then 2nd, and I hed to immediately let off. I still pulled a 12.6@111, but I was pissed because I know it would have been much faster had my clutch held the power! Now that I'm making even more power, I can't even shift hard in 2nd.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

*Ding*
Old 02-24-2006, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what kind of power are you making now?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:19 AM

Default Not sure exactly, my first dyno run was on a dyno dynamics

at KTR, and with my newly added ASP 24 psi code, 5 bar FPR, test pipes and 93 octane. The car was not cooled properly so I put down only 275whp, but my torque was a little over 340 wtq...all with 207degreesF after-intercooler temps! KTR offered to re-dyno the car again with proper cooling. Based on my before and after FATS time of 4.25 before, down to a 3.70(both w/2ppl, and 3/4 tank of gas) After the ASP code. So based on the FATS times I should be putting down at least 50+ WHP more with more road-realistic Intake temps
Old 02-24-2006, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've heard nothing but good things about the following setups:

Clutchmasters (Talk to Mike at WMS, as someone said)

RS4 PP w/ South Bend Kevlar or Ceramic Disk (Talk to Mike at Vast)

RS4 PP w/ Spec stage 2/3 disk (Talk to Alex at Europrice)

And those are all great shops that have been very supportive of this community, so if you give anyone your business, give it to them =) And FWIW, I'm going w/ the RS4/Kevlar setup from piggie.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Former Vendor

feel free to call me , I can set you up with a nice clutchmasters clutch ! in stock now
Old 02-24-2006, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Clutchmasters 6-puck. Third time is a charm. (Long)

My car is cursed though. I had an RS4 PP with a Vast hybrid disk first, which never worked for me. It does just fine for other people though. The PP SAC ring slipped in shipping and was installed (by yours truly) as it was. I don't know if this caused my issues, but from then on the SAC ring never adjusted itself properly. The engagement point was too high and the clutch would never fully engage. Couldn't press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor either. I babied it for 500 miles, and then it slipped at my first track event. In between that time, the transmission came out three (3!!!) times to reset the SAC ring, and it always slipped back. My write up on how to properly set the SAC ring (using your house as a press) is floating around in the archives.

My second clutch was the ClutchMasters stage 3 setup, which would have been perfect had my brand new transmission's input shaft seal not failed and leaked gear oil all over my new clutch during it's first track event. That one chattered like an SOB as well, most likely due to the oil, which didn't leak until sometime after the install.

So out everything came for a third try, and along with a new seal went in a stage 4 6-puck setup. It's awesome. Great bite, nice feel, and hardly chatters at all (I'm running a LWFW), which should only get better. It's ceramic too, so with only 50 miles of putting around, and a 350 mile trip to Laguna Seca on it, it performed like a champ at the track.

***Here's the key feature. The Clutchmasters PP is a thing of beauty. First off it has no SAC ring, which is nothing new in the aftermarket world. It will never trouble me again. Most important though is how it feels. I don't know what their clamping force is exactly, but I'm going to guess that it's even greater than the RS4 PP. It's feel is better and lighter though, which really surprised me. If you ever plan on spending any time in stop and go traffic, this is the setup for you, whether you go stage 3 or 4. It's dang near effortless, and I can't recommend it enough.

Mike, Ali, are you reading this???? WickedMotorsports took care of me like you wouldn't believe. None of the issues were their fault, yet they still gave me a courtesy break on pricing each time the gearbox had to come out. They do great work and took care of me. Stasis also does great work, as they had my gearbox out twice in two days with the first clutch.

Quick Reply: I need a clutch..Spec stage 3 or Clutchmasters ceramic 4-puck? Opinions/Experiences