S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I need help, I have just heard the absolute mother of all squeaks coming from my car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help, I have just heard the absolute mother of all squeaks coming from my car!!!!

So yesterday I wash my car after school. I clean it, dry it, and tuck it into the garage for the night. Today, I go out, start/run it for 2 minutes or so, as usual, and back out. As soon as the car starts to roll, I hear a glass-breaking, absolute piercing squeal shout from my car. My mom gives me this "wtf?" look and I just shrug. Nothing I can do, except hope it's rusty rotors being cleaned. So I go up my hill, the whole time this squeal still going on. As I roll down my short street at 5 mph, I can't help but feel insanely embarrassed, as anyone would be able to see that that incredibly annoying and high-pitched squeal is coming from my car. This sucks. Maybe it will stop after I go a little fast? Yea right. I turn onto another road, and get up to almost 40. The squeal's pitch and characteristics get to a point then stay there, very loud and rusty sounding, up to about 30 mph, then fade off. This happens almost every time I accelerate, or move slowly on my way to school. It also happens while turning, though usually only when curving right. It is THE MOST annoying thing EVER. ALmost like a person whistling, with a mix of rusty metal rubbing and a splash of nails on the chalkboard. If it happens after school today, hopefully you guys can tell me what I should suggest to the dealership, should I need to go. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

it may be a small stone stuck between the brake shield and the rotor
Old 02-04-2005, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've had this happen before. The sound is so horrifying but it's really no big deal.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How could I be sure?
Old 02-04-2005, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Squeak or a squeal? Are you sure it's related to the brakes? Coming from interior or exterior?

If it's something on the exterior, I have no idea. If it's a horrible squeal somewhere in the dashboard, check the heater blower fan behind the glovebox, you may need to lubricate the squirrel-cage bushings. It doesn't seem too likely given your "breaking glass" and "splashing of nails" descriptions, but something to check out anyway.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1886325.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1886325.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 02-04-2005, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How did you get it out?
Old 02-04-2005, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default either bend back shield a bit to allow stone to fall out or you'll have to remove

the rotor, or atleast loosen everything to free it up
Old 02-04-2005, 05:32 AM

It might be the fan shield on front of the radiator (the one that was added as a service recall).
Old 02-04-2005, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default put the window down and try to listen where is comes from

slow down and speed up . i had that a month ago, and that stone stayed there for 2 days.. when taking left turns it was getting slightly louder..
my friends driveway was getting rebuilt and he had a lot of tar and stones there. the noise came on right after leaving his house and hearing others hitting the wheel liner. i just knew it was a stone from the way it sounded, i had that before.
the car was fine- you washed it- roll it and get the sound.. what else could it be ? i can't think of anything else.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've actually had 2 issues like this...

I lived in a house with a driveway that was all small rocks, so I ran into the following:

1) What I think you have, the worst i've heard is a stone stuck between the brake shield and rotor. This lasted for about 4 hrs, basically the rock got ground down and fell out (i think) but my initial impression was that a piece of metal had broke, was bent and scraping on my rotors.

2) I also and very often when I lived in that house got a rock stuck behind my heat shield. These only make noise when you turn the wheel in one direction, these also ground down and fell out...

If i were you, i'd just drive for a little while and it will just fall out. This is only my experience and I guess it could be something more serious, but in my case the sound was almost painful to hear coming from my car, but was not an indication of anything wrong. One time I had the car checked out but the rock fell out before I got to the dealer, they checked anyway and everything was fine.

Quick Reply: I need help, I have just heard the absolute mother of all squeaks coming from my car!!!!