S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I really need some help here guys...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really need some help here guys...

Have the motor and tranny all disconnected, and the hoist all set up... but I really can't do this by myself. I need an extra set of hands; preferably, someone who has done this before. When I first posted on here that I wasn't going to do this because I didn't think I had the time, I received over a dozen emails from people saying they would come over to help... only one has (KevinS4 stopped by last night to help me remove the axles). I'm really stuck here guys; there is no way I can do all of this without at least an one other person here to help. Please shoot me an email if you are in the area and can help.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hugh ? Must be doing something wrong - I've done B5 Tranny three times, and Engine pull twice, Solo

on jackstands. Bentley Manuals have good documentation. I'm not the only one - It's not that hard.

Just buy extra hydraulic jacks and jack-stands and be safe : throw a wheel or extra jack-stand under there in case a jack fails or something moves the car off.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default he's asking for experienced hands, not physical help.

HUGE difference
Old 07-29-2006, 10:00 AM

Uh- oh. Does he have teh Bentley ?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default i dont know :(

lotta ***** doing it for the first time alone though.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:04 AM

Yes.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:07 AM

What step are you at ? What are you trying to pull at the moment ?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:09 AM

Default Answer inside...

Obviously the front of the car (i.e., radiator, bi-pipe, etc) are removed. I've disconnected the driveshaft, axles, shifterbox, motor and trans mounts, all hoses and wires, and the tie-bar. Loosened the exhaust clamps. The motor is connected to the hoist and the transmission is held up with a jack. The engine moved about 2" from where it was, but won't budge passed that point. It is loose, and all of the mounts seem to be clear.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice place to be...

Now double check *everything* Make sure nothing is attached to the engine, PS lines, grounds, etc...

I assume you're not dropping the subframe:

Now get that motor/trans *totally* supported by the cherry-picker and balanced slightly towards the rear.

Now you'll have to jack it up, move it back, jack it up more, move it back more... Maybe add a bit of tilt, but if you have it right the first time it should slide right out in a couple minutes.

Good luck... now back outside to continue working on my deck.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Ok, have you disconnected ...

1. The coolant hoses from the head to the heat exchanger (two 2" black hoses, behind the head, roughly above the bell housing)
2. The power-steering hose coupling (thin metal pipe at rear, near coolant-exchanger hoses)
3. The screws holding the ECU harness clamps to block
4. A/C hoses from condenser (also going into silver drier canister passenger side)
5. The ground cable (under the passenger-side frame, near engine mount, A/C drier)
6. The Power-steering reservoir hoses to the front of the block & cooler

The regulator assembly (metal box on drivers side front) will get stuck behind the frame where bumper-shocks attach. You have to watch the front, lower the engine, then pull, raise again and so on to manouver it out

Quick Reply: I really need some help here guys...