S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I regret to inform you that I am an Idiot Savant....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I regret to inform you that I am an Idiot Savant....

I'm an idiot because:

On Sunday, my buddies and I were going skiing up in Tahoe. We stopped for gas before starting our trip and in an effort to get going and get out of the gas station, I hastily went in, got some water, and drove away.... 5 feet later...KA-THUNK! Yes... yours truely forgot to take the F@!$#% gas nozzle out of the car. The lady at the gas station said "Dont' worry.. it happens about twice a day". It didn't make me feel any better.

I'm a Savant because:
After skiing, my buddie's remote's batteries had died. Unfortunately he had an aftermarket alarm, so if he opened the door without disarming the alarm, he wouldn't be able to turn it off. We poped open the remote to see what kind of battery it took.. it was a freaking 12v battery?! WTF?! Thinking for a while, I pulled out the toolbox I keep in my car and jumper cables. I was either going to be a complete moron twice today... or be a hero once to nullify the above moron-incident. I grabbed two small nails (don't ask.. i have a small box of various fasteners). I wedged the nails behind the battery contacts. Cliped the jumper cables onto the apropraite nails... and then to my car battery. (This was a 4 person operation).

And it worked... we were able to disarm the alarm turn the car on and head home.

BTW... the snow sucked but the weather was great! Who was the nogaro up at Kirkwood on Sunday? Parked by the bunny hill?
Old 01-14-2002, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LOL...That's got to be the funniest thing I've heard all day, jumping a remote.

I can't believe that worked w/o frying anything...
Old 01-14-2002, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey, I thought I was Idiot Savant?? LOL
Old 01-14-2002, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dude, you are my HERO! Ghetto rigging a remote like that takes some skill....

But driving off without taking out the nozzle? BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old 01-14-2002, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Haha that's what everyone was saying... like dude uhh battery = a couple mA.. car battery = 12A!!

I'm like.. it'll only draw what it needs! You can't PUSH current!!

uhh right? Heh... I was hoping to god I was right... but either way... they were stranded! =)
Old 01-14-2002, 12:40 PM
Elder Member

-One of our Audi bretheren. Resourceful, but moronic just the same.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:40 PM

Default i was filling up on gas and this guy was asking about my Audi, how he liked it..i forgot about the..

nozzel and drove about 5ft. and heard a horrible noise and saw the nozzle and gas tank lid on the ground, i was not a happy camper, but i was able to fix the lid and it works great.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your lucky you didn't fry that thing to car remote heaven.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default most aftermarket alarms have a hidden switch so that when this happens you...

get into the car
the alarm starts sounding
you put the key in the ignition, and turn it to ACC
then push/flip the switch.

This allows you to disarm the alarm with a dead remote battery, so long as you have the key to the ignition.

It also works in the (somewhat) opposite way...
put the key in the ignition, and turn it to ACC
then push/flip the switch.
The Red LED turns on and stays lit - this puts the alarm in Valet mode so it doesn't accidentally get armed by a mechanic, friend who your loaning the car to, etc.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nah I doubt it would have fried... I was fairly confident it wouldn't have . Basic electronics :)

Just because you can source 12 A's doesn't mean that you will

Things only draw what they need... So... your car's computer, ESP system, radio and headlights only draw what they need... the car bettery can only source 12 (or whatever) amps max.... all those things combined can't pull more than that... since that's all the car battery can source.

12v = 12v =12v

I have to admit though... it totally made me nervous just because of the rig-factor of it all. I was confident I was right but really didn't want to be wrong on some minor detail =)

Quick Reply: I regret to inform you that I am an Idiot Savant....