S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I think I have a upper oil pan leak........

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have a upper oil pan leak........

I have replaced the bank 1 valve cover gasket and cam tensioner/cam seal and still see some oil reside on the bottom of the started working it way down to the right side of the bell housing. I think it could be the upper oil pan seal. Can the oil pan be removed and the RTV replaced with the engine in the car? Help !!!!!!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:34 AM
AJG
AudiWorld Super User

Yes. But, it nonetheless requires a ton of work to replace that seal.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:40 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

I think you have to drop the subframe to re-gasket the upper oil pan.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I think I have a upper oil pan leak........

Yes, but as mentioned above, it is a project. I had mine replaced under warranty by the dealer about 1 year ago. I was there to see it dissasembled, and it was a lot more involved than I thought it would be. The bad thing about this leak is, due to the location of the upper pan and the miscellaneous BS that is over/under/around it, you can't see where it is coming from until you tear some of the stuff off of the car. My dealer missed this leak twice suggesting that it was spilled oil from a recent oil change making its way down the back of the motor before they finally found it. The service mgr told me when I picked the car up that this was a frequent problem they saw too often, and that I would possibly have the same problem again before my warranty was up. My warranty expires on Thanksgiving day, and I found another leak on my car last night. I take it in to the dealer in the morning. I suspect the same thing again. It is beginning to sour my experience with car....this is about a $800 - $1,000 repair if you pay a dealer to do it. Is this an annual thing or what? WTF? Good luck on yours.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

correct. it is a big DIY job but not impossible
Old 11-22-2004, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I think I have a upper oil pan leak........

Thanks, It looks like I might go to 10w-40 oil from 0w-40 M1 until I can get some free time and something to hold the engine up when I remove the pan.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update --->

Talked to the service mgr this afternoon, and he claims they think they now know the cause of all these oil leaks. Some kind of crankcase breather valve (didn't call it a PCV valve though) that he says they gets plugged. He claimed that since they started replacing/cleaning this valve when they fix an oil leak, that they no longer have the high return rate they did before. Mayve called it a crankcase jet valve, or siphon valve....I forget. I will know more in a day or two.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:27 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Can you post here when you find out?

I've heard the same about the PCV valve, so I planned on changing that soon. If there is something else that causes a pressure build up, I'd like to know so I can address that as well. Location, part #, cost, pictures, whatever you can provide (all of the above being the best of course! :-P).
Old 11-22-2004, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Update --->

I found something about a OIL CHECK VALVE but can not tell by the picture were it's located. Maybe under the intake?
Old 11-22-2004, 06:25 PM

Default STA on the C5A6 forum early this year. It was 2.7tDallas that posted it

2.7tDallas and audiSean posted about it.

-df<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/369906.phtml">one post</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: I think I have a upper oil pan leak........