S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I visited death valley today, Salt Creek is cool :) I think I killed a Chevy Impala though :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I visited death valley today, Salt Creek is cool :) I think I killed a Chevy Impala though :(

I was going west on California 190 and I had less than a half tank of gas and 97 miles to go, so I was driving gently to conserve gas. I had just finished going up the 4000' climb out of the valley, and was almost at the twisties when a red new style Impala came up behind me really fast.

It was a no passing zone, so he was tailing me at 65, I had the cruise set and he was dropping back on the first few curves, then he was a bit more confident and sticking at 65, he dropped back a bit on a sharp left, then there was a sharp right. This section of the road was downright slippery compared to the rest, and my back end slid out about a foot and the car went into a four wheel drift, I hit the gas and counter steered, then let off the gas and made the next turn.
This was the first time I had even squealed the tires on the trip and it wasn't on purpose, it was unnerving.

I looked in the rear view to see how far back I had dropped the Impala, and I didn't see him, I waited a bit, still no Impala, there was no real place for him to turn off or pull over on this stretch, then the road straightend out for a little over 8 miles but I never saw him again. He had DRL's and he was red, but I didn't see any other cars come out from the twisties, and we had just passed some sort of compact car so there should have been something.

I have a theory what happened, but I really hope he didn't lose it in the rocks trying to tail me

If I didn't see it, and he was behind me, I'm not at fault right?

I'm still feeling kinda bad, but by the time I was getting concerned about him I didn't have enough gas to turn around and check, I didn't want to get stuck in the desert with no fuel.
Old 05-03-2001, 10:08 PM

Default Re: I visited death valley today, Salt Creek is cool :) I think I killed a Chevy Impala though :(

Damn, that sucks...read a similar story about an Integra Type-R trying to tail a S4 on a high speed turn. I'm not big on bumperstickers, but if I was, I'd get these:

Do not tailgate this car as there's a high probability I have better brakes than you.

Do not pace this car when its turning at high speeds as I have quattro and ESP.

Or just this one: Know the limits of your car.

Of course, they'd have to read the bumper sticker at a stop light or risk rear ending you...hmmmm. How about a big neon sign? heheh
Old 05-03-2001, 10:12 PM

!Danger! Stay back 500 feet!
Old 05-04-2001, 06:39 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

License plate bracket: equipped with quattro - do not attempt to follow