S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

If a car is totalled by insurance company, can one get extra $ for aftermarket parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If a car is totalled by insurance company, can one get extra $ for aftermarket parts?

Could someone get additional money for aftermarket suspension, exhaust, etc on a totaled car if they had all the receipts?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you ahve an agreed value policy with Chubb, yes. With a conventional carrier, they asked if the car was modified when you got the insurance. If you said no to keep rates down, no.

If you paid a higher premium to insure w extra value for mods, yes.

Most likely you will get book value, their book value...
Old 08-23-2009, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Some companys offer customization insurance as a add on for I think 5k of coverage, but I don't know anything about modification insurance, most likely they will not cover anything that was not there from the factory.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed with above. More likly than not, you'll be stuck with a book value. It should help you to get a high book value but not always. If your not at fault for the accident, then the other insurance company should be forced to give you a payout to afford you a similarly equiped vehicle, but you'll have to fight for it.

Other than that, you can over insure a vehicle. Last person I spoke to it about was an extra $81 on thier 6mo premium to add $5k in additional coverage.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you do it will be a fraction of what you paid for them.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nope!!!!!!! I would take them off and sell them separately. You will make more. Aftermarket + accident = $0
Old 08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dabbdc@yahoo.com
If you ahve an agreed value policy with Chubb, yes. With a conventional carrier, they asked if the car was modified when you got the insurance. If you said no to keep rates down, no.

If you paid a higher premium to insure w extra value for mods, yes.

Most likely you will get book value, their book value...
I paid extra to cover $4K... got 0 - they said hose dont add to the value of the car- those are preferential ..MFers..
Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

What insurance company do you have?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bimmerchop
What insurance company do you have?
Progressive
Old 08-28-2009, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to look at this perhaps from a different perspective. The insurance company's duty in most if not all states is to pay you what your car was worth immediately prior to the accident. Now with that in mind, if I put $4000 aftermarket wheels on a $500 pinto, is it now worth $4500? The answer is no. Depending on the modifications and the company involved, you may get some consideration but I would not expect dollar for dollar. It really depends on if the modifications actually raise the value of the car. Granted, that's subjective but it's something to consider from the market perspective. I agree with an earlier poster in that if you can take the items off and (ideally) replace them with the OEM parts, you'd be better off.

Quick Reply: If a car is totalled by insurance company, can one get extra $ for aftermarket parts?