S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

If you could get into a car under a vendor program: Ford, GM, Nissan/Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you could get into a car under a vendor program: Ford, GM, Nissan/Infiniti

Essentially get a couple of percents below dealer invoice.

AND you wanted to control your auto expenses to redirect funds elsewhere (boat).

What choices are there really with those 3(4) auto makers?

G35 Coupe (the gauges suck donkey nuts, but the overall interior isn't that bad - I'm leaning towards this one)

GTO (can't imagine owning another Pontiac)

Cobra mustang (it's STILL a mustang, no matter how fast it is)

Vette is out cuz Chevy says no to that being in the program

Cadillac CTS (I know what you're thinking, but we're talking GM here and what else is there?) I would consider the new Cadillac platform, but it's mucho dinero.

Saab? - anything? The torque steer of the Viggen I test drove when looking at the S4 drove me nuts.

I have a great opportunity to get into a new car hassle free with about 12-15% off of MSRP, but the options don't look so appealing.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I wouldn't take it.. it's still $ ..
Old 02-23-2004, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default G35 coupe, 350z. And does Ford include Mazda? If so, maybe RX-8?

Maxima, Altima, Hummer, Cobra, Saabs all sound reasonable, but personally I'd focus on the G35 coupe and 350z.

Find out what the pricing is (program), and then go to a dealership or two (or to the car's forum) and see what they are actually selling for. See if it really is a deal or not.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stay away from the Saab's unless you want an arm exercise machine - I test drove and the torque

steer is mega nasty. Any Saab with enough power to get out of its own way has baaaad torque steer. G35 looks good on paper, but I haven't actually drove one yet. Audi ownership spoils you. Definitely the best interior for the $ of any vehicle.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

good advice on the pricing
Old 02-23-2004, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Expert

G35 Coupe, in black, with the Brembos and the spoiler.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default nah, the dark silver (titanium silver?), but definitely the spoiler

or the 350Z in blue
Old 02-23-2004, 06:30 AM

Default GTO interior is nice, though. Comfy seats. That's a lot of power to put down, and you maintain

the "anonymous" understated style which many S4 owners prefer...

CTS is nice, and handles well for a larger car. It probably is the best replacement for the S4 as the CTS-V probably won't be covered by your discount program.

The Saab 9-3 Aero is probably my favorite overall of the possible choices: the interior is fresh, not quite as nice as the S4 but still nice; the exterior design reminds me of an updated S4 design (sleek, attractive, and likely to age well). You'd get decent power, and the torque steer issues from the Viggen days are greatly diminished. It's still fwd, but that at least will be good in the winter.

RX-8, as Mark P suggested, has appeal to me, but I would expect it is a sufficiently different breed than the S4 to make you not want to replace the S4 with it; it makes a better supplement.

The G35 coupe looks sexy, but the interior would drive me bonkers. Things just jar in there, IMO, and the steering wheel controls may be the least ergonomic things I've ever used.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That pricing doesn't sound very good - I know the program I can use gives me 22% off sticker and

unless the model is very popular, you can usually get the same/better deal negotiating.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

The dark silver is nice too. But that car in black just looks so classy.

Quick Reply: If you could get into a car under a vendor program: Ford, GM, Nissan/Infiniti