S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

If your glove box rattles, might want to try this...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 09:33 AM
ATH
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If your glove box rattles, might want to try this...

My glove box just started to rattle and I hated it - but it would stop if I reached over and pressed down on it while driving. After some investigation, I noticed the very top of the glove box was "clicking" when pressed into the underside of the wood trim.

If you open your glove box, you will see there is a small lip under the trim that contacts the top of the glove box when shut. To prevent any noise, I made two very small strips of neoprene (from leftover wetsuit material) and put two very small strips of 3M mounting tape on them. I then pasted these strips (2 strips about an inch each) at opposite ends of the glove box, attached onto the lip under the trim.

This makes the glove box close with a softer feel, but you need to shut it with a little force to get it to close. It's completely silent now, due to the tighter fit when it closes. You can't see the strips when the glove box is shut either...

Not sure if this will help anyone, I can take pictures if you want. But this rattle was annoying as hell, and now its gone.

I also resolved the roof liner rattle by pressing neoprene in between the sunroof and the roof liner above the dome light. It falls out when you open the sunroof, but I just put it back in whenever its shut. No rattle!
Old 01-24-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Re: If your glove box rattles, might want to try this...

If you can't find neoprene, try the fuzzy side of a velcro. I did this on mine and it fixed the squeak and rattle.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:07 PM

Default There is a much simpler fix ......

Just get some small (1/4 in.) round adhesive backed black felt pads from any hardware store. Place one at each corner of the glove box door where it contacts the dash opening when closed. The fix looks clean ... like it belongs there. I did this 4 years ago and it's been quiet ever since.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:11 PM
ATH
Elder Member

Simpler = less fun :-). Yah I just had some neoprene lying around