S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Im going to try to swap out my turbos without taking out the engine, starting tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im going to try to swap out my turbos without taking out the engine, starting tomorrow

how actually thinks it possible? i figured its worth shot to try it like the guy on audiforum did it. If I cant get it, I will just go ahead and pull the engine, from what the guy posted it seems like I wont be wasting that much time by trying it.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ko3's or ko4's?

good luck either way
Old 12-11-2006, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

good luck... post details!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default K03s....i got a used low miles pair for cheap and I dont have the money for k04s right now

The turbos blow right after I got the car so I never got to really drive it with boost. I just want to get it working. I will definately get bigger turbos once these ones go, by then hopefully I will just get gt25 or gt28s
Old 12-11-2006, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default definately will.....I will make a better write up than the guy on audiforum did if it works

cause that one is kinda vague
Old 12-11-2006, 10:32 AM

Default In case you don't have instructions. Here....

As far as a basic write-up on the swap:
-remove headlights, bumper.
-disconnect radiator hoses, power steering lines (use hose block off pliers the steering fluid is like $25 a liter), disconnect A/C lines from condenser.
-there are two torx bolts up top on the front clip, and four on each side on the frame rails. remove these and the entire front clip will come loose. you also may need to remove headlight washer lines (I don't have them as I have a Reiger bumper).
-take the bolts out of the front axles and allow to hang loose, then tie back toward the rear of the car for clearance.
-Once the front end is off remove the intercoolers and intercooler piping the main inlet tubes are held on with o-rings and are very tight, don't be afraid to use a pry bar to pop off.
-You now have access to the turbos, remove the oil and coolant lines (I had a lift so this was much easier)
-unbolt the turbos from the manifolds and the manifolds from the heads.
-unbolt the heat shields and then the downpipes, unplug the front 02 sensors
-remove the manifolds through the front of the car (I had to pry on the driver side of the engine for clearance to get the manifold on that side)
- the pass side turbo will come out the front of the car from underneath.
-the driver side turbo will cone out from the bottom almost straight down (you can pull this without removing the manifold but it's much easier if you do)
-remove the oil drain and fill lines and clean
-re-install is the opposite of removal.
- also you will have access to do a timing belt, water pump, serp belt, etc. I recommend doing while this far along.

-tools required- Metric ball-end Allen socket set, 8mm and 6mm straight Allen sockets, 10-spline socket driver set (to loosen the axles), metric socket set, pry bar set, Phillips and flat head screwdrivers, metric box end wrench set, etc.

-notes: my car has an aftermarket bumper with custom intercooler supports, I removed the A/C completely with my swap, I reinstalled with aftermarket manifolds which took a lot more work to get into the car than the stock ones coming out. Tools required is to the best of my recollection as I had the help of a tech, a lift, and 8 master-techs tools available to me. I'll post anything else that comes to mind.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I asked my buddy who owns an Audi/VW shop about swapping K03s like this and he does them this way
Old 12-11-2006, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

no need for a new clutch i guess ..
Old 12-11-2006, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

nice....now i dont have to go to audiforum everytime to look at it.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

no, clutch is fine

Quick Reply: Im going to try to swap out my turbos without taking out the engine, starting tomorrow