S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Immobilizer question. I bought a new key on ebay for my wife's C5 A6 and got it cut.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immobilizer question. I bought a new key on ebay for my wife's C5 A6 and got it cut.

The 2002 A6 has an immobilizer so I went through the Ross Tech help section and it stepped me through how to get the Immobilizer ID. Then it said to go to the dealer and get the seven digit SKC code.

I called the dealer and they sounded hesitant and want me to recode it for me for $125.

Has anyone been successful with this without the charge? I know this is the S4 forum, but the C5 forum is limited.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM

Default from my experience - at the Audi dealer service they told me..

they need to reprogram something and they must request some information (code or some sort of confirmation) from Germany (online). They told me that it can be done only from their diagnostic system.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah after STFA, it seems like they used to be able to get the code, but now they use

the GEKO system that goes direct to the factory and they never see the code.

I just realized that I have the SKC from when I bought the car (I had the tag filed away). I just don't know if it has the Dealer Code on it and the date that the code was created. I need all of that info.

We'll see when I get home.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Did mine this weekend....no vagcom. S4 B5 with immobilizer.

Don't even need VAG-com. You need key + remote unit with same code.

xxx xxx xxx x where all digits match. Ifd they dont all match iincluding the last x it wont work.

Good working key in ignition, ignition on.

Close drivers door, physically lock drivers door with key to be programmed.

Wait ten secs. Press unlock twice (places key at number two location, if you have three keys press three times etc...max four keys). Alarm might beep per key press or lights or indicators might flash.
Unlock drivers door using key, lock again using key.

Wait ten secs.

Take key out.

Press unlock button to open car. Dont do or press anything else!

Now open door and remove the key from ignition and confirm all keys work.

It took me thirty of so attempts to get it to work properly, as my original key must of been at postion number two and I overwrote it with the new key....I was also pressing lock, was unlocking and locking doors etc with key still in the ignition. All of these causes problems!

Five presses clears all keys and this is what I had to do to get it working correctly again.

Still thirty mins phaffing is much better than $200 dollars at the stealers.

I used a second hand remote fob from ebay, new blank cut at the local hardware shop. Just make sure remote fob is exactly the same code as your existing key(s).
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default B5 S4s doesn't have an immobilizer.

I successfully programed the new ebay A6 key so that I can unlock the doors with the remote with the method above. Then put the new key in the ignition and the car starts then dies because of the immobilizer.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default In europe they do !

Repeat the above process a couple of times. It does work. I got mine to work. With immobilizer.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well, your immobilizer must be different. I already did the exact procedure that your wrote above

and it worked to program my keys to unlock the doors. I fully understand the slots and so forth. After I did this exact procedure, I placed the new key into the ignition and started the car. After about 2 seconds, the immobilizer light in the cluster flashed and the engine shut off.

I've spoken to numerous people including the dealer and they have all told me that the dealer is the only one able to program the key.

Your immobilizer must be different.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Maybe true, but dealers and *lots* of people told me the same about the S4.

Try it again, with the new key in the ignition and the good key in the lock.

Or take it to a $tealer and pay them $125....
Old 03-06-2009, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll try one more time just to be 100% sure.