S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

IMPORTANT NOTE to anyone with the AWE S-flo intake (if you care about your engine!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMPORTANT NOTE to anyone with the AWE S-flo intake (if you care about your engine!)

I've installed a couple of these on S4s, and never noticed any perceptible amount of oil on the ITG maxogen filter (this type of filter relies on oil as part of it's filtration).

According to two different ITG filter distributors I spoke with (Eurosport in salt lake city, UT, and Coast Fabrication in Huntington Beach, CA), ITG maxogen filters absolutely do NOT come pre-oiled from ITG. Those dealers include a dust retaining oil bottle with their ITG intake kits for this reason, so that they can be oiled prior to installation. Now, I called AWE with this information and was told the filters ARE in fact pre-oiled, *from ITG*, so we have conflicting information.

The oil (per ITG's website) has a WHITE DYE that shows up on the filter to indicate if/where it is oiled, and I am pretty sure I did not notice anything like this on the AWE S-flos.

So who to believe? I tend to believe they are NOT pre-oiled based on my observations.

ITG *always* recommends using the oil with their filters for adequate filtration effectiveness (it states this right on their web page). Frankly that makes me a little worried about letting dirt in the engine, and thought others with the S-flo should know. Perhaps AWE can respond further to this, but I am just sharing the information as I know it.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh come on. Next time you have one take it and rub it all over your windsheild then tell me it is

not oiled. Besides this I suggest that everyone buy a K&N recharge kit. It comes with the cleaner and oil. Keep in mind you do need to maintain it.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just because the foam leaves a residue doesn't necessarily mean that's the "dust retaining oil"

which has a white dye. I've also noticed with new K&N filters you see a noticable amount of red oil in the bag. The ITG air filter bag was pretty dry.

And no I would disagree with your suggestion for people to get a K&N recharged kit - that cleaner and oil is designed for the K&N cotton gauze filters. ITG uses foam and recommends washing their filters with regular dish soap and has their own type of oil for the foam material.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:16 PM

Default You are kind of right about ITG filters in general, but not about the Maxogen in the S-Flo kit.

All the panel "Pro-Filters" come pre-oiled from ITG.

All the cone "Maxogen" filters do not come pre-oiled.

However, the cone "Maxogen" filter included in our S-Flo kit is pre-oiled before it leaves here, using genuine ITG filter oil.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i was under the impression that the stock paper element ...(m)...

allowed more than adequate breathing for the engine (even with a chip) and that using an aftermarket filter that requires oiling f*cks up the MAF.
funny thing happened to me, a week after installing a k&n drop in panel filter my c/e light came on and the MAF needed to be replaced.
been using the factory paper element ever since.
contributing factor or coincidence?
just my $.02
Old 09-03-2002, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes Ron and I appreciated your input - I'm just concerned that differs from what other ITG retailers

are saying, and my own observations (which I acknowledge could be wrong).
Old 09-03-2002, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK, funny that Ron@AWE had no knowledge of this (that they are oiled at *AWE*)

If you are in fact oiling them, it sure doesn't appear that way from the filters I've installed. In fact I have one in my hands right now I just pulled out (used about 10k) and when I squeeze it, it is dry. Perhaps that isn't an adequate test, so I can only trust that you are speaking the truth.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

And I see that his post stating they are pre-oiled at the *factory* was just deleted.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:29 PM

Default Yes, they are pre-oiled before they leave.

Ron is new here, but his information was technically correct. The filters do *not* leave here dry.

Also, even dry these filters have good filtering ability due to the multilayered foam matrix.

Care and cleaning directions come in each filter box, and we stock spray cans of ITG filter oil.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I recommend what works good for me. I know the oil that you refer to and ask you to do as I

suggest, rub it all over your windshied. As for K&N I have been using the S-flo for along time up until my recent box change. I have also used the K&N oil just as long due to it's availablity. Never have I notice any dirt particles in my intake trac. Trust me the filter does get dirty.

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT NOTE to anyone with the AWE S-flo intake (if you care about your engine!)