S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Instrument Cluster - What does it control?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster - What does it control?

This may be a long winded way to get to the Instrument cluster subject but here goes.

The heater core failed so I replaced it. finally got everything back together and the heater works great.

However, I got an Airbag light and an ABS Module light and the 3 beeps with the brake light flashing.

Everything was good before I started so I don't think these modules failed suddenly...

So, I reset the connectors at the back of the instrument cluster, that got rid of the flashing brake light and the 3 beeps. I still have the ABS and Airbag light though. Now I take it to a dealer and he says the airbag isn't the issue it's a connector problem. (probably whats causing the ABS issue too?)

I feel that the instrument cluster is the problem here. My question is what does each of the 3 connectors do? I'm trying to work out if I've just got a bad pin connection somewhere and would like to at least cut down on unnecessary diagnostics.

As they're sensitive electronics I don't want to just go pulling off the plugs with power on or that'll just trash the cluster for sure.

So, anyone out there had similar experiences or have any suggestions?

Can I focus on one of the connectors more than the other? Hoping that someone will know where I'm coming from.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Green Plug

Just found out the Green plug supplies the ABS (Pin 21), Airbag (Pin 10), Park Brake (Pin 13) etc.
Now I have something to focus on... Will update with any news
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So, is now a week or so later. I had a friendly Dealer do a quick look with their diagnostic and it comes up with a Steering angle fail and an Airbag low resistance.
Dealer says the spring ring under the steering wheel could be a good fault to start at.

The steering angle sensor? going to have to read up on that one... Unless there are any knowledgeable types out there?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im about to replace mine also. I think mine went bad when I took off steering wheel and the angle sensor/spring lock came out with it... Please let me know if this works for you. I know if you want a few more replys and guys that a site thats a little more helpful try audizine, A lot more people that are willing to help on there
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

When you removed the steering column I'd bet you either:

A: Didn't re-center the wheel
B: Spun the wheel with it out, damaging the clockspring.

Do all of the steering wheel controls work?

Do you have vag-com?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ddillenger
When you removed the steering column I'd bet you either:

A: Didn't re-center the wheel
B: Spun the wheel with it out, damaging the clockspring.

Do all of the steering wheel controls work?

Do you have vag-com?

I had a RS4 wheel but no airbag since they confiscated it at customs. I was test fitting the wheel and when I pulled off the tip wheel the whole thing unspun on me. I wasn't aware that the clock spring even existed at the time so it freaked me out for a second. I put it back together and I must have damaged it when all that happened. I cant test controls since the tip car is now manual and the RS4 wheel has no controls. I did pick up a new one yesterday and hope to install tomorrow

I just bought a Ross Tech Hex cam cable, should be here in the next few days
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well lucky for me I didn't spin the clockspring otherwise I would have broken it as you mentioned!
So, as I was thinking (Hoping) it was a connector issue, I took it all apart, made sure the spring was still intact, It was

I used contact clean around all the pins on all plugs, gave everything a good firm wiggle to ensure good contact when reassembling.

When I first started it up I rotated the wheel full left then right before moving then drove in a straight line for about 25 yards. This was part of a reset I'd read about when doing some research and was supposed to be part of a computer connected reset thing, but I thought why not, doesn't hurt!

And woo hoo for me yes it did. no ABS light or brake light. I'ts been about a week now and all is still good.

I do still have an airbag light but if I can persuade my friendly dealer to give it one last diagnostic and if the resistance issue has improved maybe he can reset that too.

I don't know if my fix was just pure luck and getting a good connection on whatever pin was bad, but I'm very happy it is working now.

I can see how easy it would be to get that spring coil one rotation out and destroy it if you didn't know about it in advance.

But, seriously Audi, was this the best device you could invent to do this!!? I get what it does, providing steering wheel angle data to the braking system so that in the event of ABS braking it can modulate the braking to the steered wheels. But man is it fragile, and sensitive!

Anyway, after that long write up, I believe I'm fixed. I hope everyone out there takes real good care when pulling their steering wheel off, it's not just a simple undo the nut in the middle and tug....
Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

And a last little note..

Whilst I had the wheel off and I'd cleaned the connector I very VERY gently rotated the clockspring to feel out when it was at max rotation left and right.
I did this so that I could work out where the middle was (wheels straight) and the steering wheel would be centered.

This way when I eventually had it reassembled & turned full lock either way I wasn't going to destroy it.