S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Intense vibration after driving 30-40miles...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intense vibration after driving 30-40miles...

Posted this up on Audizine and Voretx but can't seem to get any responses.

ONE"Last night I started feeling some odd vibration in the car. After the vibration started I began hearing a metal-on-metal high pitched "clang" from the driver's front corner. My immediate thought was possibly the front wheel was loose and maybe even a lug bolt had come out and was bouncing around inside the center cap. Pulled into my driveway, checked it out and everything was good. Had to park it and take my work van (not cool =\ ). Today when I got home I jacked the car up, took the wheel off and pulled and pushed on every arm under the driver's side and nothing seemed loose. Grabbed the axle, seemed nice and tight (although it had some slight play longways, like pulling it straight outta the tranny and pushing it straight back, but only a mm or 2 at most. Not sure if that's normal). The boots were good, no tears no leaks. Anyone have any clue what this may be? I'm about to go drive it but wanted to post up beforehand, maybe someone's had an experience like this before.

Thank you if you actually read through all this!"

TWO"Stock K03s, 125xxx miles, and chipped. Although I never have the chip on. I pretty much stay outta boost except on special occasions where I make a point to go out and hit some mountain twistys. I always warm up and cool down and oil changes and all that. I take care of em, in hopes they'll take care o me. "

THREE"I had kind of let this problem go because it hadn't repeated itself but after further driving - it's still there.

The problem only occurs after driving for ~30miles or more. When it happens I got bad vibrations (like a tire is waaaay out of round and not balanced). When I take it out of gear it seems to be less intense. When I have it in gear the shifter shakes violently. When I come to a complete stop then start again the problem doesn't seem to come back until about 55mph but if I slow down below that it is still present until I completely stop again. The metal-on-metal clang was unrelated but there is a noise that seems to sporadically appear with the problem. The best way I can think to describe it is to "thump" your stock center caps. Kind of a hollow plastic sound... odd I know. Two days ago when changing my oil I noticed a small 10mm bolt sticking out on the sub frame driver's side. It was very loose, tightened it up hoping it would help but it didn't.

If you have ANY idea what this may be post up. Just something to get me headed in the right direction. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. "

FOUR"Sorry to keep bringing this back up but it's freaking me right the **** out.

After further investigation into the matter I can feel an apex in the vibration, and it occurs in repetition according to the speed of the car which leads me to believe that the problem lies with a moving part. It happens IN and OUT of gear so that narrows it down some I suppose.

What is seriously throwing me off is the fact that it only occurs after 30-40 miles of driving. If I let it set for a few hours and drive it once more all is well until the 30-40 mile mark again. W T F? "

I'm not expecting a cut and dry "THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM" answer, but if someone could just brainstorm/toss some ideas at me to get me looking in the possible right directions I would truly appreciate it. Thanks for reading!

Also, just jacked the car up again, both front wheels off. Every bolt, nut, and bushing seems to be tight and in good shape. No play in any of the CAs or axles. It seems that with a problem this noticeable the cause should be sticking out like a sore thumb as well, but I'm at a complete loss. Everything seems okay and it's killing my mind.

Link to Audizine thread:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...n-%28Noises%29

Vortex thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea....#post66378621