S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Intercooler External Cleaning & Internal Flushing (anyone?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler External Cleaning & Internal Flushing (anyone?)

I checked FAQ's on the subject before posting.

My baby's in the bodyshop for the repair of some front end damage. I'm also on my 2nd twin turbo Z since 1990, so I guess I'm addicted to the world of BOOST!

With the front clip of the S4 off, getting to the ICs was very easy so I asked the shop owner if I could take them away to clean them up and flush them out like I'd done with both my Zs.

I backflushed the fins at the kitchen sink with water and got probably 1 tbs of small pebbles from each one. I then used an biodegradable, non-acid, high-foaming coil cleaner (typically used on A/C coils to restore efficiency). A whole BUNCH more &*^ came out of the fins!!! I followed this by capping off one end of each of the ICs pouring kerosene into each up to about a third full and placed my gloved hand on the open end and shook them around to get all internal surfaces bathed with the stuff. I drained this into several transparent liter soda bottles to monitor improvements. Again, O-M-G!!! SOoo much black, oily *&amp# came out of each one! It took me 4 flushes of each before I could even begin to see sunlight across the bottle! The whole time all I could think of is how much oil film must have been coating the tubes' internals and impeding the heat exchange process that our turbos NEED!(?)

My car is going into the paint booth today and I'll be driving her to Atlanta on the 10th. I cannot wait to drive it again!

QUESTION: Has anyone else ever done this or something similar with your ICs? It's GOT to be a win-win situation IMHO.

FYI: My car has always run flawlessly. I approached the IC flush as only a nice-to-do procedure just like with my Zs since I track them often.

Later commrades!

PS. I'm a newbie to this site.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:18 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Thought about it...

when I do the timing belt service at 60K, I'll likely set aside a few hours to remove/flush the IC's.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I feel the same way as RKA. Do you have the name (or link) to the foaming coil cleaner?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:28 AM

Default It's an Ace product called Foam N' Clean >>>

I got it at an appliance shop where A/C and home appliance repairmen get their stuff. It was recommended to me by a friend who owns a home and industrial heat & A/C installation & repair business to use on my home units. I figured my ICs were similar enough in function and material for it to be worth a try.

You mix it to 3 parts water in a spray bottle, spray it on and watch it work! (WEAR GLOVES!!!) Kinda cool to see the crap just rise up on top of the foam! Leave it on for 4-6 min. and then rinse with plenty of water. I let mine air dry. Make sure to cap the ports to keep water out.

Good luck...post more ?'s if needed Windy.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Awesome. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:31 PM

Post your observations of the system once you drive it - I am curious (tracking thread)
Old 07-01-2004, 12:55 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default He may not notice anything...

This is simple maintenance...if the IC is clogged with debris, or the inside is filled with oil, it adversely impacts the IC's ability to act as a heat exchanger. If you're in there doing work, and the IC's are accessible, it's wise to clean them out.

What you're asking for is akin to asking for impressions after changing an air filter. You might not notice anything, but it's something you should do regardless.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:47 PM

Default I also wonder if I'll be able to sense any difference but>>

my thought is that I KNOW that I removed crap from both the insides and the outsides that wasn't there in the beginning! As RKA says, it may be like a freshly oiled K&N! The opportunity was just too good to pass up what I would consider a maintenence procedure like this and the cost was near nada so... I still will report my observations be they minimal or significant.

Peace all.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:05 AM

good point peace of mind is the right motivation to do that work..