S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Interesting response from AoA about availability of the Avant......

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2000, 10:15 AM
Turbox2

Default Interesting response from AoA about availability of the Avant......

This was the reply to a lister on the S-cars list to the simple question of whether he could order an S4 Avant.

--------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Audi of America.

We certainly appreciate your interest in the Audi RS4 / S4 Avant. The RS4 is the closest Audi to what would be an S4 Avant in the North American market.

Despite rave reviews in Europe, we have no plans at this time to bring the RS4 or S4 Avant to North America. As the interest builds for this model a decision may be made to bring it to this market.

We will concentrate on building the Audi brand beginning with the entry level A4 1.8T, which we think has all the attributes people in this segment are looking for.

However, if you would like more information on the Audi RS4, please stay in touch with our German Web site at the following address:

www.audi.de

Since Audi vehicles are designed to satisfy the wants and needs of our public, we will refer to your interest in this model when future product recommendations are discussed.

If we can help in any other way, please write again.

------------------------------------
Old 01-26-2000, 10:28 AM
LCP

Default Could their heads really be this far up their ***? How far apart can a wagon & sports car be...

...not to mention the fact that the base TT has less than half the HP of the RS4.
Old 01-26-2000, 11:21 AM
mm

Default Unfortunately it's pretty clear that those at AoA who respond to e-mail are rather clueless...

...in general regarding the product they represent.

I received a similar response from AoA a few months ago when I e-mailed them to inquire about the potential future availability of the S4 Avant in the US. Their response was that there were no plans to make the RS4 available in the US. Since that really did not answer my original question, I sent a message back to clarify that I had originally inquired about the S4 Avant, NOT the RS4. The AoA response was that the RS4 was the same thing as the S4 Avant. I sent a message back informing them that this was not the case and that there were, in fact, significant differences between the S4 Avant, available in Europe, and the RS4. They must have been kind of embarrassed at their apparent ignorance, they never responded back.

I would hope that not everyone at AoA is so grossly uninformed regarding Audi's model line up, but apparently, those who respond to e-mail inquiries are not very well informed in general. Pretty sad, considering the fact that part of their job is to represent Audi to the public. Either that, or the folks at AoA have their collective heads up their collective posteriors a lot farther than many of us had already suspected.
Old 01-26-2000, 11:53 AM
Todd W

Lance, what are you talking about? You lost me.
Old 01-26-2000, 12:00 PM
LCP

Default Re: Lance, what are you talking about? You lost me.

My bad, I read entry level 1.8T to be entry level TT, and the TT is what I refer to as a sports car, so I thought that AoA was responding to a want for a fast sport wagon with the TT. Of course, responding to a sport wagon with a 150hp wagon when people are looking for 250hp (S4) or 380hp (RS4) seems just as far up where the sun doesn't shine.
Old 01-27-2000, 09:47 AM
TTtim

Default Re: Interesting response from AoA about availability of the Avant......

Audi of america will begin shipping S4 avants in the late fall. It probably will be announced at the New York auto show.
Old 01-28-2000, 08:16 PM
alan

Default Re: Interesting response from AoA about availability of the Avant......

I got the same message - verbatim, when I emailed asking them when I could order an S4 avant. Pain in the ***, to be told that all I really want is a 1.8T Nope...I want the S4 avant!!