S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

It's been a week since I got my S4..impressions inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-1999, 10:36 AM
CraigL

Default It's been a week since I got my S4..impressions inside

I won't bore you all with the usual "great fit/finish, very fast, 2nd->3rd shift is long, etc." kind of review. Here's just a few observations I've made over the past week with my S4...

- Very smooth riding (you all knew this one)

- Controls for sunroof are sub-par. The roof doesn't close if you spin the dial too fast. Conker also has had this happen to him.

- Gas mileage isn't too hot. I got about 276 miles on my 2nd tank of gas.

- The aluminum trim is growing on me. I originally didn't like it at all!

- I LOVE the paint (Nogaro Blue)

- I put Amaco 93-octane gas in it today at lunch, and now the engine is louder. Any ideas?

- Alcantara blue interior. 'Nuff said =)

- Xenons ROCK.

- I've gotten thumbs up from a number of non-German car drivers. It's a damn cool feeling..

This car was worth every day of waiting, for sure. Hopefully everyone who's waiting gets their car soon!

-Craig
'00 S4
Old 09-24-1999, 10:57 AM
Vijay

Re: It's been a week since I got my S4..impressions inside
Old 09-24-1999, 10:59 AM
Scot McKay

I bet that a lot of car enthusiasts will recognize the Nogaro S4 instantly b/c of the R&T mag test.
Old 09-24-1999, 11:01 AM
Vijay

Default Re: It's been a week since I got my S4..impressions inside

Craig,

Just picked up mine last night. Also Nogaro with Onyx/Blue. Power is just awesome! The car is a total head turner-That probably has as much to do with the color as the car. Anyway, do you think the aluminum trim is aluminum or plastic. It feels an awful lot like plastic to me. Also, do you find it a bit awkward to shift with the armrest down?
Old 09-24-1999, 11:02 AM
CraigL

You mean Car & Driver? R&T had an Imola Yellow car...
Old 09-24-1999, 11:05 AM
CraigL

Default Answers..

I think the paint has a lot to do with it. I've had countless people come up to me here at work and say "That's a great looking car, what is it?"

It _might_ be plastic but I really doubt it. Audi uses genuine woods and carbon fiber for their other trims, I don't know why the aluminum would be any different.

I don't have a problem shifting with the arm-rest down, although you're not the first person to mention that it's a bit ackward...

-Craig
'00 S4
Old 09-24-1999, 11:07 AM
Todd W

Geek! Yeesh :-)
Old 09-24-1999, 11:15 AM
Vijay

Default Re: Answers..

FYI...We have a '99 A6 Avant. One day my three year old daughter banged on the inside of door really hard and knocked the "wood" trim loose. It was plastic
Old 09-24-1999, 11:25 AM
john

Default Re: Answers..

The fact that the trim had a plastic backing it does not mean it is not "wood". If solid wood be used (with no backing) you would have a hard time not getting it "warped" do to climate conditions. Only if it is 100% dry wood you may be able to achieve it and I would find it hard to believ that these days manufacturers would use it without any type of backing. My Impresion is that Audi uses genuine wood veneer (maybe thicker than usual) on a plastic backing to accomodate changes in material properties and to reduce noise and improve fit & finish.
I would believe that is what your A6 avant havs.
On the other hand, congratulations on such a nice set of wheels for both of you-Today I get my S4 but my wife is about to kill me for an A6 Avant!
Old 09-24-1999, 11:26 AM
Another Drew

Euro-brochures state that it's "carbon fibre look" not actual carbon fiber.

Quick Reply: It's been a week since I got my S4..impressions inside