S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

It's time to do suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's time to do suspension

I have searched plenty of the forum posts. What I am looking for is anyone who has personal experience with the systems i'm deciding between.

I use the car as my daily driver. And I drive a 30min commute on descent roads. On occaision i will drive 9hrs to NJ for a week or so. I dont plan on spending any large amounts of time in NJ ever again but I will definately hold onto my stock parts just incase that happens. I have not tracked yet but plan to eventually.

I am considering

H&R/Billsteins
(Afraid of ride height not being perfect for me, mostly I'm afraid of it being too low)

Stasis Street Coilovers (Koni)
(I hear incredible things about Stasis but from what I know, this kit was not engineered by stasis in any way as it is a Koni system)

H&R Street Sport Coilovers
(from searching archives, it seems that H&R don't have the most reliable track record or customer service that matches stasis)

Of the 2 coilover packages most people say that the Stasis ones are the "better" choice. I am looking for comfortable ride with nice handling.

I've driven the H&R/Billstein combo on an S4 and loved the feel, this is the cornering performance I am looking for. I am also hoping to lower the car just enough but I don't want to make a long drive uncomfortable. I'd also like it to pass the GF test.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I will sell you my Koni and H&R setup. Im upgrading to the trax sports.

I have had it on the car 2 months I have the reciepts to prove it and I need a more aggressive setup. I don't mind the stiffer suspension since I want to track the car.

I would sell my setup for $600. The springs and the shocks cost me almost $1100 and they have less than 500 miles on them.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Default FWIW, I've been very happy with my H&R Streets

They tighten up the suspension just enough to improve handling without significantly impacting ride quality.

I lowered my car very slightly (I'm at 25 7/8 all around) and this is probably as high as you can go with them. The car feels fantastic.

Any issues I have had have been resolved promptly by AWE, which is where I got them and had them installed. <insert "you are lazy and should have installed them youself" comments from Mr Sherwood ;-) >
Old 04-07-2004, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default q's

what height do they result in and what type of warranty would carry over to me?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I've also been very happy w/ my H&R streets. No problems, but Zev should take care of me

if problems arise. I really like the adjustability of them. It's easy to do once you know what you're doing. I was around 24.5 and now I'm around 25.35. If you go stasis then go for the ones they make (i.e. the more $ ones). imo those are the best overall suspension, but they are more money.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you are referring to the tracksports?

can you compare them to the Street Sports? Would they give up ride comfort? (would you notice them on long drives or all the time)?
Old 04-07-2004, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I'm not uber suspension smart so I don't want to answer that w/ a bad answer. :) I like mine though!

see pp for before and after
Old 04-07-2004, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Answers.........

I have my car in the shop currently having RS4 body parts being put on or I would take a picture. The height is lowered 1.3 in the front and 1.4 in the back. I also have wheel spacers I bought to make the car look right. The stock wheels are now flush with the body and i do not have any rubbing at all. Not even when cornering real hard.

I called the tuner that put the suspension on and the warranty is fully transferrable. The warranty follows the receipt.

The car looks great setup this way. It really should have come this way from the factory.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my Street Sports passed the g/f and mom tests.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i'm happy with my H&R ultra...but i have FK now..and they are great too

Quick Reply: It's time to do suspension