S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Just bought an S4!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just bought an S4!

Finally got it. It's an 00'. This is my first turbo car, and I have a question about cool-down periods. I keep forgetting to let it cool down, and need to know when and for how long to do it. Should I do it every time I drive it or only when the engine/oil is a certain temp? For example, I drove on the interstate for about 3 hours tonight and then pulled into my neighborhood and drove about 10 mph for a few minutes, parked and shut it off. Is this sufficient, or do I actually need to let it sit and idle?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:36 PM
IBG
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I let my A4 idle anywhere from 30-90 seconds depending on how hard I drive.

I also try and stay out of boost for the last couple miles of driving.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When you say hard driving, what do you mean?

Highway cruising for long periods of time or WOT drag racing?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Everyone has a different theory on this -

Most people follow one of the three methodologies listed below for warmup and cooldown. Personally, I'm not paranoid so I choose options (a) - warm up and (a) - cool down. That and I think idling to cool down the car is far less effective than just going easy on it while the car is still in motion. YMMV

Warm up: Don't get into boost until

a) water temp needle goes vertical
b) oil temp starts to budge
c) oil temp comes up to at least 175-200

Cool Down:

a) stay out of boost for last couple minutes of your trip
b) just let it idle for a bit before you shut off the engine (or alternately use a turbo timer)
c) both (a) and (b)
Old 02-12-2006, 09:03 PM

I think I am with you.. A and A
Old 02-12-2006, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

C and A, sometimes a little B too if I've driven hard at all.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:17 PM

Boosting frequently/"givin er"
Old 02-12-2006, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just turn the car off. I never wait to let it cool down.

I have over 90k miles and have never had any problems. The car has a built in mechanism to allow it to cool down in the case where temps are high. I did do the after run pump thermo switch mod so the after run pump runs almost every time I drive it.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd. c and a, except no b.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I do the same as you, and I drive gently near my home to let turbo cool and be silent.

"As long as the oil supply is clean and the exhaust gas does not become overheated (lean mixtures or retarded spark timing on a gasoline engine) a turbocharger can be very reliable but care of the unit is important. Replacing a turbo that lets go and sheds its blades will be expensive. The use of synthetic oils is recommended in turbo engines."

"After high speed operation of the engine it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for one to three minutes before turning off the engine. Saab, in its owner manuals, recommends a period of just 30 seconds. This lets the turbo rotating assembly cool from the lower exhaust gas temperatures. Not doing this will also result in the critical oil supply to the turbocharger being severed when the engine stops while the turbine housing and exhaust manifold are still very hot, leading to coking (burning) of the lubricating oil trapped in the unit when the heat soaks into the bearings and later, failure of the supply of oil when the engine is next started causing rapid bearing wear and failure. Even small particles of burnt oil will accumulate and lead to choking the oil supply and failure. A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time, in order to execute this cool-down period automatically."<ul><li><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger">link for wikipedia</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Just bought an S4!