S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

just crawling around "under" the hive... some opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just crawling around "under" the hive... some opinions please...

over the last 2 months, i've been getting some small drips off the back of the plastic shield under the car. I pulled off the shield, cleaned it, tried to determine where the oil was coming from (very small amount), but was unable to. So I cleaned everything that had oil on it (I believe it was spraying around under there). I gave it a couple weeks, had a look again, and it appeared it was coming from the drain plug area on the oil pan (bad crush washer?). Again, small small amount, so I wasn't worried, gonna have them check it next service (in 3 weeks). However, I complicated things the other day by topping up the oil, and taking the Bee out for a cruise...sans oil cap... arrrrrrgh. So, after spending the last couple days cleaning out the engine bay, I crawled underneath to have a look. So.... basically I was cleaning everything up so that when I took it in to have it serviced, they would be able to determine where the leak was.. but... as I was cleaning I noticed a build up of oil on the rubber/metal joint of the output of the i/c to the i/p of the left turbo (the pipe). I removed it, and found some oil INSIDE the pipe.. however... it appeared to be just in the metal/rubber join area. Further up both pipes appeared to be oil free... though there was a "sheen" to the interior of the pipe, it didn't really feel like excess oil, more like a very very light coating. Took off the same pipe on the right side turbo, bone dry. (however, the oil cap is on the left side... grrr..
and all the mess was created on that side) Ok... now...

1. Is it possible for oil to be in the line here ? Is it normal ?

2. If it is oil in that air passage, then it must be coming from the turbo itself ?

3. Or, is it possible the oil drippage from my STUPID act of forgetting to put the cap back on, has just managed to work it's way in via osmosis ?

I've had no problems with boost, and while I am burning a bit of oil, it is quite minimal (maybe an 1/8 quart a month). No abnormal noises either. Thanks in advance for your views and/or opinions. Incidentally, I cleaned the piping out quite well, so I'll check it again in a few days.

Earnie

"After eating, do amphibians need to wait an hour before getting OUT of the water?"
Old 06-16-2001, 07:59 AM

Default Could be PCV residue?

Positive Crankcase Ventilation
A smog control system that vents crankcase gases (blow-by and oil fumes) back into the intake to be burned by the engine.

If the S4 has such a system, it would vent into the non-boost side of the intake. Which means everything downstream could be coated with an oil film.

Ming
Old 06-16-2001, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Ming... wouldn't this be a pipe I could see intersecting in front of the i/c's somewhere ?