S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

just curious ---> what is AWE's thoughts on using TCDs and/or MBC with GIAC software...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am intrigued by this statement.

Jonas, you are qualified to answer why you wish the software would be available separately, since you have had AMS, our kit, and now the PEB setup.

What is it that you feel the software from our kit would fix/solve/whatever with your current setup?

I am genuinely interested.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Elder Member

Default GIAC software is good. If it were tuned for a straight through MAF, homebrew guys would want it.

It would be nice to not have to use a TCD. K04 software would solve this issue. Another way to solve it would be to come out with a K03 X chip that has boost enabled mobile tuner, but I doubt you guys will ever do that.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Elder Member

Default So to what do you attribute the drivability issues? The only variable is the MAF housing.

People run straight through MAFs without a flow straightener and encounter NO drivability issues at all. Why is there such a turbulence issue with the AWE stage III kit?
Old 01-11-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Retuning this software in any shape or form is not an option.

GIAC and AWE are eyeball deep in other projects, and it just could not be justified timewise, as it would not be a simple project.

Sorry.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Elder Member

Default Fair enough. I didn't actually expect a re-tune. I was just saying how I feel....

that homebrew/diy guys would be interested in your software if it were tuend for straight through MAFs that they could source themselves. Then again, we are a small percentage of the people you are targeting so I don't think you really care.

Anyway, thanks again for taking some time to respond.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:29 PM

Default I have no idea what else people are doing to "compensate".

We learned long ago that there are lots of other seemingly minor details people leave out that have major impact on results. Like what airbox (or lack of) they are using, what signal clamps they are using, etc.

Think about it: the flow screen sits *before* the MAF housing. How is that going to fix something that is being blamed downstream?
Old 01-11-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Actually, I do care, as we get pressured to do this often.

I just never got an explanation why this would be beneficial to people, as the file is programmed specifically to our hardware.

If the demand is actually for a retuned version of our file, then I can understand and sympathize, I just cannot offer help due to scheduling demands vs return.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Elder Member

Default I think it is one of two things. Either they mean a retuned version or they haven't tried tuning it

without your MAF.

AFAIK, one person (Caltech) has successfully used your software with a straight through MAF, but others have tried unsuccessfully.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:34 PM

Default I would like to try them all :), I really wish the AWE setup would have worked for me back then,

I think the flow straightener would have made the difference for me, back then the flow straightener was not in the works, it was the 3bar tuning. If I had a 3rd car I would have waited, but it just didn't make sense to wait around for a year until it was sorted.

If I could get the same power (or better) with the AWE RSK04 SW, and not have to utilize a TCD and/or MBC (although I run mine in parallel in my setup, which works well), I can see some advantages. More importantly for me was ability to switch programs, I really wanted to be able to switch to a 100 octane program easily, a valet type program would have been nice also. Not sure if this is avail for the RSk04 kit yet or not.

Also I believe AWE/GIAC is more proactive in the Audi community, they offer a wider range of programs than say an AMS.

Would be interesting to see how the RSKO4 SW compares to my current K03 SW.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Elder Member

You make a good point, Jonas. Many, probably a majority, of homebrews use a parallel setup.

Quick Reply: just curious ---> what is AWE's thoughts on using TCDs and/or MBC with GIAC software...