S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Just drove through a yellow light and saw the dreaded flash bulbs go off. So lame that they do that.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not many communities can afford to have a cop sitting at every intersection to moniter them.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:23 AM
Elder Member

Default You should see some of the tech thats coming...

I've seen speed-sending automatic ticketing systems that use a video camera. Traffic just drives by, it measures your speed (and that of all the cars in the frame) based on the time it takes you to move across part of the screen, if you're speeding it automatically uses a high-res image sensor to read your plate, and the software OCRs it and off goes the ticket. Speed sensing is absolutely accurate, and its impossible to detect, because the computer is measuring your speed optically.

So don't complain about red-light cameras, it could be MUCH worse. These systems are prohibitively expensive right now, but that'll change, and quickly.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default That's not the case in the north east

Here, the cops simply don't give a ****. I see people run lights all the time right in front of cops, but every time they make it pretty clear that public safety is not one of their concerns.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yup, I've almost been hit several times in Watertown Center...

the cops DO NOT CARE about red light runners, but they'll nail you hard for any speeding violation. Why? Speeding is more money, and harder to fight in court.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Those types of traffic enforcement are illegal in many states (proscribed by statute)

Also, you can probably beat many of those violations with a good lawyer because the burden is on the state to prove that an "individual" committed a crime, not a car. As always, this is not legal advice, and I'm not a lawyer.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:19 AM

Default Everyone speeds. Where I'm at the average interstate speed is over 80 (limit is 70). At least 75% of

the interstate users would get ticketed.

That'll go over well...
Old 07-27-2003, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would be interested in seeing some proof that is the case (m)

In the few cases where I've been caught in an intersection it was because the light changed from yellow to red much too quickly. Of course there will always be people who push it, but in general having a few seconds more, rather than less, is better. I don't buy that giving people more time to react is encouraging them to push through the intersection later in the cycle.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It will get worse if people take the attitude you are proposing (m)

"So don't complain about red-light cameras, it could be MUCH worse." That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. We know red light cameras aren't the right answer, just because things could be worse doesn't mean we should accept them. Every time we roll over and give up opposing an absurd law it opens the door for more restricive rules.

Consider this: "So don't complain about *55 MPH speed limits*, it could be MUCH worse." We'd still all be driving 55, or worse, if everyone took your advice.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Actually.....

Red light cameras don't decrease the number of accidents at an intersection. While T-bones tend to go down a bit when the cameras are installed, rear-ends go WAY up. Mostly just a big money maker for the city. :-/
Old 07-27-2003, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the greatest trick system ever pulled was to convince AW he didn't exist.....and like that

he was gone!

Quick Reply: Just drove through a yellow light and saw the dreaded flash bulbs go off. So lame that they do that.