S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Just drove through a yellow light and saw the dreaded flash bulbs go off. So lame that they do that.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perhaps, but I can provide you with copies of slightly (m)

more scientific studies that show properly designing an intersection is an effective way to reduce those instances. Are you parking yourself at a couple intersections and sitting there for days on end recording information? If not, I suggest that your observations aren't really capturing the big picture.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, not at all. My point there was that accepting red light cameras (m)

because there could be even more restrictive, automated systems, is a poor reason to do so. It simply makes it easier for those more restrictive systems to be implemented later.

Look at the seat belt laws. First it started off with just buckle up your kids. Then it became you need to be buckled too, but only if we stop you for something else. Now you can be stopped and ticketed for no other reason than you not chosing to wear a seatbelt. See a pattern there? And the issue is not wearing seatbelts, I whole heartedly support wearing them.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:53 PM

Default I know what you mean, I think our yellow lights are long / last a while to allow

people to go thru the intersection but most people know that after 1 or 2 seconds of yellow you should STOP becuase the other direction will be green as soon as the red swithes on. We joke here that you should count to three before taking off from a green light just in case there is someone running the light...
How did you like New Orleans?
In town on business or travel?
Old 07-27-2003, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Really? Perhaps in theory that is the case but unless

you have some studies to back it up I wouldn't want to establish policy based upon apparent common sense. You would intuitively think HWY deaths would increase with higher speed limits, but since the repeal of the national 55 mph limits that hasn't been the case.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not to mention, that they alter the time between yellow and red lights (drop by 2-3 sec), AFTER

the camera's go up, because that increases revenue for the city

ther was an article in C&D a while back, bitching about how they were implementing this crap in D.C.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:14 PM

Default Some but not all....

It only takes one live saved to make it all worth while!
Old 07-27-2003, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my bro got married there....

we hit some major highlights of town- Camillia (sp?) Grill, Mother's, Harrah's, Bourbon Street (Pat O's piano bar rocks!), etc. His bachelor party was a combo of Cammilia Grill, Rock N Bowl, and Harrah's (he isn't a hardcore party guy). The rehearsal dinner was at Commander's Palace (second time eating there, their turtle soup is SOOO good!), reception on top of the Windsor Court- I lived like a rock star that weekend, it was fantastic. Admittedly, my first trip to N.O. a few years back wasn't all that great, I didn't like the town. But now I like it a lot and hope to go back sometime.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default that's why you WON'T see draconian enforcement

because as soon as the cops try that, everyone will flood the courts, or demand that the laws get changed. The government does better just draining our blood slowly... if they went for the jugular, we'd fight back.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:00 PM

Default Plenty of that technology exists in Europe right now.

Problem is, they're even out on the most remote roads it seems (in my experience, though.)
Old 07-27-2003, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There's a way to avoid that- - ->

I bought a clear plastic cover that goes over my rear plate (no front plate) that blures the plate from any angle other then directly behind.

Can't be photographed, it comes up blank. I bought it from a cop...true story!

Quick Reply: Just drove through a yellow light and saw the dreaded flash bulbs go off. So lame that they do that.