S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Just finished installing the Stratmosphere short shifter...whew!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished installing the Stratmosphere short shifter...whew!

What a job...it took me about 2.5 hours to do the install. Partly because the directions weren't all that clear so I used some of the directions on the Tanoga install on their web page. Anyhows, now the good part.......

First & Lasting Impression: This thing should be called the Stradaverius for how well it plays it's part...it truly has changed the feel of the car. Shifts are extremely extremely crisp (and I have it set on the standard short throw, I can go even shorter)...perfect! The notchiness is all but gone. I never imagined a short shifter could make such a complete difference. I was so disappointed with the piece of short shifter that was orignially in there...I couldn't believe Audi would ruin a beautiful sport car with such a clunky shifter. I am needless to say completely & totally satisfied. I would recommend this shifter to anyone and everyone.

One thing I forgot to mention...getting into reverse requires a bit more effort than before. Compared to how it used to be...the reverse was the only smooth thing about the shifter. Anywhos, how many times do you shift into reverse in a day anyways? 5 times? Compared to how many times you shift thru first through sixth gears I'm willing to put up with the mildly extra resistence that the Strat presents with reverse.

Conclusion: Time for the Milltek exhaust now...hehe.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:54 PM

Default I have the SS on 50% reduction..

Shifting is a dream. I cant imagine driving the car without it. I can race and confidently slam into 2nd gear without a problem. The reverse notchy is my only complaint. I have yet to call Stratmosphere and talk to them about it. They are really helpful and have good service if you have any problems. Wait til your shifter breaks in and starts to loosen up, it will get even smoother! When I first installed mine, it was super knotchy, but now its smooth as silk.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ever wonder why its so hard to get into reverse now?
Old 01-10-2002, 05:08 PM

Default FWIW, my Strat SS is perfectly smooth...

Including in/out of R. I too had a, er... fun 3 hr install. After doing a second final adjustment, R was perfect, no issues, couldn't be happier.

Mine is also using the std short position vs. Super short, supposed to be smoother, and it is. I know others w/ Strat SS (S4_Dukar) still have problems getting into R even w/ repeated adjustments, though I believe these cases have it on the Super short setting, and also may be the newer shifter linkage (mine's a 02/00 build S4).

Try some further adjustments, loosen the lower shaft set screw & reposition the shifter jesss slightly more to the right... Keep playing w/ it, you might find the perfect spot yet.

& nice choice in catback, got that too. : )

Enjoy the shifter, feels good doesn't it!

Cal S4
outdated sig... add'l go fast goodies since added = P
Old 01-10-2002, 05:51 PM

Default Congrats, install of these things is a bitch! Took me many hours and pints of blood. A very...

worthwhile mod, IMO. You way want to try adjusting the connecting rod to make it less notchy out of reverse. Well done!
Old 01-10-2002, 05:56 PM

Reading about your SS install ordeal was quite entertaining though.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:20 PM

hahah, you were once there too! as was I
Old 01-10-2002, 06:25 PM

Thanks! I appreciated all the help those rants returned from sympathetic AWers!