S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Just when I thought last night was bad, it got worse this morning

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just when I thought last night was bad, it got worse this morning

On the way home from work last night I hit a HUGE pot hole. For those in the Northern VA area, lookout in the right most lane when exiting the Dulles Toll Road to go on Route 28 North. I knew I probably did some damage when I hit that thing. By the time I hit the toll plaza I hear the wheel running on the sidewall. Ugh!!! So I pull over after the toll booths and notice 3 other cars there that also had blown their tires. I talked with the others and they all had the same story of hitting that same damn pot hole.

I proceed to change the tire. The tire felt a little low, but I changed it anyways. I got it on and was hoping it had enough air in it to make it the 2 mile trek home. As I pull away I hear it running on the sidewall too. DAMN IT! This was the tire I was supposed to have replaced by the dealer, I just hadn't gotten around to getting it taken care of. This is a hard lesson to learn.

So I place a call to my father who lives a few miles from me. I sold him my old A4 with the 17" wheels so I knew that they would fit. He shows up and lends me his spare. Of course this is the spare that had 2 bubbles in the sidewalls when I sold it to him (he knew about them). At least this would get me home and hopefully stay intact to get me to the tire store tomorrow.

Well, I come out this morning to check the car out before I head to the tire shop. Low and behold that tire was dead too!!!!!!!! So now I am waiting for another friend with a 17" spare to show up.

I sure as hell have learned my lesson. To the others out there, check your spare tires. Who know when you will have to use it.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default interesting that you should remind us to check our spare tire............

a couple of days before Christmas while cleaning my S4 and my wife's A4, a gut feeling came over me to check the spare tires in both cars. low and behold, both were flat (15-18 lbs. respectively). neither spare was ever used. go figure.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks to MrHydeA4 for the use of his spare...

Now my trunk is filled with three tires I need to have checked out. Why do I have a feeling this going to get expensive...
Old 02-18-2004, 05:25 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Did you get contact info from those three other people?

If so, you all can probably have a strong case against the entity that's in charge of that road. Find out how to make a claim, and even if you're the only one, see what you can do. You can probably get a new wheel & tire out of it. But be sure to act quickly, becuase government entities usually only give 6 months to file claims...
Old 02-18-2004, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did not get the info of the other people...

But I did call the State Police and tell them about the situation. I told them there was a huge pothole there and that it had claimed a few other peoples tires before mine.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:11 AM
Elder Member

Default Even worse is the number of people in the summer running a stock spare that don't have stock bolts.

They get a flat and find out the hard way that they can't put the spare on the car because all they've got is the bolts for their summer wheels.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good thing Audis have spares. Friend got a flat in a '02 M5, no spare, just a BMW air pump.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

and stock bolts for winter too (when running separate winter wheels)
Old 02-18-2004, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

don't laugh, i keep a small air pump that plugs into my cigarette lighter in my trunk too.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:18 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Hehe - I almost made that mistake. Something reminded me that they are different bolts

and I kept a brown bag in the storage bin with the stock lug bolts.

Quick Reply: Just when I thought last night was bad, it got worse this morning