S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

K04/16's on K03 software. Input & suggestions welcome. (long & rambling)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K04/16's on K03 software. Input & suggestions welcome. (long & rambling)

OK, I've done my homework STFA, spoke with S4mig & Brian@ECS as well as others.

My situation:
I just had K04/16's installed and am picking the car up this am. I plan on going the PEB stage III- route and have the FPR, TCD & MBC currently on the way. I plan on running GIAC X. I also have an APR v5 ECU.

Problem:
I am going to Watkins Glen for the ACNA event Mon/Tues and don't think the PEB stuff will be here in time. My understanding from doing my homework is running GIAC X with K04's may cause me to run lean in the upper RPM range. This I believe is bad. What are my options?

Solutions:

1. Run the GIAC software as is and see if I have problems. What should I be loking for? AW says check the EGT's with my VAG. What block is this and what else can I check?

2. Run GIAC with just a MBC set around 16 if I can miraculously get a hold of an MBC by tomorrow. This seems to work with some people, but AW says I may get throttle cut. This I believe I can see with the VAG and block 003.

3. Run APR. This seems like the "safest" solution. What problems, if any, should I be looking for? I'm assuming look for lean conditions or throtle cut.

4. Box from Piggie arrives Sat and the above is moot :-)

TIA for the help. Please note that I consider myself an end user. What may seem obvious to you may not be to me. I think I have a pretty good understanding of what needs to be done. I just need led in the right direction by others more knowing than myself.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I know people who ran regular KO4s on X-chip KO3 software with a MBC (no TCD)......

He needed to set the MBC pretty low to avoid throttle cut (~16 or so) but it worked fine.

Now, on KO4/K16s, not sure exactly what would happen but, I'm pretty sure you could just keep turning down the boost with a MBC until you get no throttle cut. You just need to be careful not to run lean since they flow so much more air. If you log various things to make sure you're not running lean you should be OK.

Certainly your car will not be as fast as it will be in the end but it should be safe - I mean, you could turn your boost down to 10psi and do your event, couldn't you?

Also, does your APR have the stock program on it? You could try switching to stock and running that way.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Both chips have stock programming. The GIAC is IBE
Old 08-27-2004, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm no expert, but, if you want to assure safety, I would think running "stock" would be your.......

safest bet.

Now, you'll get throttle cut if your actual and requested boost is off by too much (not sure what that exact number is when this happens) - you still might need a MBC to prevent this even at stock boost levels but I don't think so.

Try popping it into stock mode and do a log to see if you get throttle cut. If no throttle cut, then I'd run this way until you get your set-up figured out and have the time to do extensive logging.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have a Joe P MBC being overnighted to me, so I'll at least have that installed by Monday.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Set it to 15psi and run 100 octane.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:35 AM

Default I could tell you to plan better next time. That means make sure you have all the parts before..

attending track.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is all kind of short notice for him as well, his turbos did just blow recently. Wasn't...

really his fault.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Yes, everyone shoud better plan their turbos blowing.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default TCD is just a Zener diode, you can get one at RadioShack for about a buck if Mike will tell

you what voltage to cap the MAP at. It sounds like JoeP has taken care of you already in terms of the MBC, and the FPR is just a Bosch part AFAIK. I'm not sure of the exact part number, but I believe <a href="http://www.pp-uk.co.uk/datasheets/B%20280%20550%20113.pdf">this one (Bosch Part: B 280 550 113)</a> will work. Just be sure to check the connection sizes. The problem might be finding one that's in stock locally, but if you act fast, I bet you can find one online and have it shipped overnight. I'll look around a bit today. The other option is to just run stock.

Quick Reply: K04/16's on K03 software. Input & suggestions welcome. (long & rambling)