S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Key Fob programming, round 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob programming, round 2

So, I have my keyfob from the sedan and wanted to reprogram it in order for it to open/close the locks on the Avant. Knowing full well that the key part itself is not going to work, it'd be a handy thing, especially since I have 2 extra fobs.

Now, I looked in the Bentley Manual (such the POS it is) and it said nothing about it. I looked in the car's manual and it mentioned that I needed to execute a two step process that involved inserting my key into the keyhole and locking it, at which point the second fob (the one needing a refresh) needs to be used within one minute of locking/unlocking with the key (or something like that).

But, it didn't work. Are these fobs hardcoded in some fashion? I wouldn't think so, but the reprogramming process certainly should have worked. It didn't. So, what am I missing? A trip to the dealer?
Old 05-22-2002, 07:19 PM

Default tricky

key fob #1 in ignition, key fob # 2 in door lock....press them both simultaneously...1 minute my ***...you have to do it exactly the same time
Old 05-22-2002, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default does the car have to be running in order for this to work?

Or do you have to turn the key, or is the key itself is acting as an electrical conduit due to the physical connection?
Old 05-22-2002, 07:28 PM

key #1 turned to Accesory IIRC
Old 05-22-2002, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

So, that's the master key, I presume.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:34 PM

yes
Old 05-22-2002, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks a bunch! :-)
Old 05-22-2002, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: does the car have to be running in order for this to work?

I think it's pretty simple how it works...

K you've got a new transmitter...and the car knows nothing of this transmiter. Inside the transmiter is an initial code...and a snip of code which tells the receiver something about how the code is going to roll on the next button press.

You place your key in the ign and turn it to ON not run...it does not have to be a remote key BTW I know this for FACT as the dealer used my VALET key to code a new remote as my parents have my other remote key...so the thing about pushing both buttons at the same time is BS...not necessary.

Anyhow so the alarm knows you're authroized because you have a key in the ign cyl and you've managed to turn the car to on.

Then you place the new transmitter into the door lock...for now the car doesn't know or like this transmitter.

You then press unlock on the new transmitter key...you wait 15~30 seconds and the lights will blink...can't remember alarm or marker...it's one or the other or both. Then you have to lock and unlock the door manually using the new key IIRC then hit unlock again or something like that.

Of course you're not going to be able to turn the lock cyl because this key doesn't work...I'd simply replace the top of the phantom key with your real transmitter key top...then put it back when you're all done.

I reapeat...there's no pressing both remotes at the same time because the dealer used my valet key in the ignition...the ONLY requirement of that key is that it be able to turn the lock cyl to RUN that's IT nothing else. Everything else is on the key that's in the door. By virtue of the car being in RUN the alarm system figures any key that's in the door now is authorized to have its unique code unlock the door. But IIRC for this to work that same key must lock and unlock the door manually as well...hence the swapping the remote ends.

Otherwise it would be possible for you to walk up to a car say at a meet where the car you're interested in had the keys in the IGN. You could simply walk up put your key in...and then press unlock...then you'd be able to gain access to that car whenever you feel like it...steal stuff whatever. I don't think this is possible because the dealer said the key being programmed must be mechanically valid...you have to turn the lock with it as part of the procedure...least that's how he showed me and the new key works.

Regards,
Old 05-22-2002, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default didn't work. back to square 1. I read James R.'s response...

and it seems you need the key to work mechanically as well, which means I have to get the key part of the key fob fromt the dealer before I can reprogram the 2 extra fobs.

Crap.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nooo nooo do this...take one of your good keys apart...

and put the real key top...on top of the remote that you found or whatever. This way...it will be a transmitter with your key pattern on top...then program it the way I say.

Then take it apart...and put the radom *** key top back on it, I've pulled my key apart before and as long as it was adapted before it was taken apart it continues to work most of the time. Now the random key...while not able to mechanically open the door will be able unlock and lock Via RF. Honestly...I would not be at all surprised that if you did the following you might be able to make it work...

Put your first remote in the ign and turn the car to On

Put your second remote in teh door...

Hold the, "phantom remote" next to the key that's in the door...press unlock on the phantom remote...and wait...when the **** flashes...turn the real key that's in the door to lock unlock...then press unlock again on the phantom key...and I'd be willing to bet $$$ it will work.

I don't think the keys are bi-directional...I have a feeling they transmit only...so the key probably doesn't physically need to be in the door...but you do need to turn the lock back and forth w/o removing the key which the car will probably be able to see. Give it a try...if you can't get it to work we should hook up I'd bet I can make it happen.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Key Fob programming, round 2