S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

For LA area folks that are interested in GT setups. This Sat March 28th.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GenerationX
WoW 600.00 for a v job is insane, you can easily get a v job intake ported with bowl work for 400.00 almost anywhere locally here... Bigger isn't always better and there's zero proof the 2.8 head is better then just a stock 2.7 head let alone a worked 2.7 head... I would put up a half worked 2.7 head over a stock 2.8 head any day...
I wasn't saying worked 2.7 vs stock 2.8, I was saying a 2.8 with the same amount of work as a 2.7 can be had for less $1k of extra hardware, that's all. I'm also not saying that the 2.8 has been thoroughly proven to be better than the 2.7, but the very few dyno's that I've seen of cars with 2.8 heads were indeed higher than the cars with 2.7 heads (though that most definitely could be a virtue of all of the other extensive modifications usually associated with cars that run 2.8 heads.) I definitely haven't seen an A to B comparison where the only variable was the heads to substantiate that one way or the other, so I can only speculate, just as you can only speculate. I hope, however, that in this specific case bigger (as well as properly shaped) is better because that's the route I'm personally going with on my car (and I don't mean hogging them out, rather starting with big port heads). Of course I know as well as you that the axiom "bigger is better" isn't always true, just hoping in this case it is

I don't know if this has been said yet here, but another thing for the other's to consider with 2.8 heads other than the bigger intake ports and more aggressive cams is that the coolant ports in the head castings are smaller and therefore allow for shaping that would be limited in the 2.7 heads. How big of a difference this is and how beneficial (or not) that may be is debatable, just stating the objective differences for others to consider.

On the price of a valve job, it's the same whether it's on 2.7 or 2.8 heads, whatever that price may be for that person. Maybe machine work is just cheaper over there compared to here, or maybe you've got a hookup, but I called over 3 shops about the work and got a quote of $600-650 every time.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You might wont to send them here and get a better price...Port Shape is better/more important especially on a fi car.. I was able to take my 2.7 intake side and port them to the RS4 gasket, also my stock 2.7 intake manifold was able to match that very same gasket... You can see the intake in my sig below....
Old 03-25-2009, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You might wont to send them here and get a better price...Port Shape is better/more important especially on a fi car.. I was able to take my 2.7 intake side and port them to the RS4 gasket, also my stock 2.7 intake manifold was able to match that very same gasket... You can see the intake in my sig below....
I'm prob going to go to a local guy who does alot of STi's/EVO's and by the time I take them to him he will have completed 2 other S4 heads for RS6 setups and one set for a GT S4. I've got sigs turned off (no offense, but yours is pretty long), but I've seen all of your pictures and the ones specifically of your intake/head porting that you posted in an AZ thread about 2.8 heads a while back. Looks good.

About the coolant port thing though, like has been previously discussed, one can (and you did) port 2.7 heads to gasket match the big port, but they do have less material/space to work with/shape in certain areas because you have to watch out so you don't run into the coolant ports in the castings. How much that affects actual performance is debatable though, and I don't intend on even trying to go there.

BTW, how is your car? I remember you had a couple of issues a while back, but haven't heard anything since. Is it running? How do you like it? And you ended up with GT2560's, right?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

So you could use 2.8 heads and port match the stock S4 intake!! That would be a huge savings over RS4 intake. That might be the ticket.
Genx how's the car?? Im still interested in the kit. Randy
Old 03-26-2009, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here whe go again.

All the 1.8T guys with big power are using big ports heads.

Why S4 guy are whe so gay and want to retain are small ports heads.

I guess thats why Mike Hood is still faster tans Us witn his A4...

I really cant believe whe are still stuck like teenagers on that one.

LISTEN, TO MAKE POWER, YOU NEED BIGASS TURBO, BIGASS PORTS, BIGASS CAMS.
Is it so hard to get, go on DSM and HONDA forums to get informed on how to make huge turbocharged power, dont get stuck in the K04 S4 section.

One good thing is over the past year (and I'm proud of you guys), is that K04's are not considered the best turbo out there to go fast...
Old 03-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok so hog the largest hole out get the largest cam and you will have the most powerful car, got it... HMMMMMMMMMM seems like the fastest/most powerful S4 right now still uses the stock ported 2.7 head and intake mani...

If you tell any respectable cylinder head guy/shop that he will laugh you out of the building
Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok so hog the largest hole out get the largest cam and you will have the most powerful car, got it... HMMMMMMMMMM seems like the fastest/most powerful S4 right now still uses the stock ported 2.7 head and intake mani...

If you tell any respectable cylinder head guy/shop that he will laugh you out of the building

And the fastest evo and honda out there runs a stock restrictive head.

Look over this S4 thing just step over the 1.8T's youll see a difference.

The 1.8T are putting more power than us ant the moment, Wake up
Old 03-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

never mind
Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

and here your adding your 2 pennies in.. Funny if anything its getting more views now then before...
Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I like WickedMotorsports, Mike knows I want to copy his ex-wicked beast...

I just get pissed at people who think who know what they are talking about withouth any har evidence or without looking outside this Audi S4 sickness usual thread about being conservative.

Mike is pushing the platform, so will I.

Quick Reply: For LA area folks that are interested in GT setups. This Sat March 28th.