S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

For LA area folks that are interested in GT setups. This Sat March 28th.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GenerationX
Ok so hog the largest hole out get the largest cam and you will have the most powerful car, got it... HMMMMMMMMMM seems like the fastest/most powerful S4 right now still uses the stock ported 2.7 head and intake mani...

If you tell any respectable cylinder head guy/shop that he will laugh you out of the building
And who's most powerful S4 are you talking about? Cause I imagine that being speculation as well.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Former Vendor

Default ok ok ok

We have done near 400 B5 S4s at WMS. On most of our high powered/GT setups in the past we used big "port" heads with RS4 plumbing and other rs4 parts. On our 719whp Black beast we even went bigger by using a Ford throttle body,bigger pressure pipes and 1100HP fuel system using Gt2871s. Building these projects were getting $$$ and hard to find the parts with weeks of wait. We started installing S4 parts on the beast to test and see if we see any performance loss. The only time we ran into an issue was when we installed an OTS exhaust system. The restriction is not in the heads or intake. We have proven that with our laser GT s4. We ported a set of fresh heads with valve springs and 2.8 AHA cams. All the plumbing is S4 except the intake Y thats rs4. We ported an 01 S4 manifold and polished a stock throttle body. The bipipe is ots APR and the cool charged air comes from ER intercoolers. The heart of the 2.7 is the turbos : ) Our ASP gt kit runs 36psi and does 2.0 FATS with a pass with an acceleration that no one has done before.It has also done 40psi here and there on race fuel without any issues. Its best to spend your money where is counts, unlike other cars the 2.7 S4 doesn't need big heads or intake to make power unless your goal is 1000WHP.You can make 700+HP on ported stock heads and intake manifold. A true 700HP car IS A FAST CAR! the goal with this project was to push the car with basic parts that are avail and can be modded with basic tools and cheap!
If anyone is intersted in our parts list from the turbo kit to our fuel system, feel free to contact me.

G-luck
Old 03-27-2009, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Since I'm trying to copy your wicked beast, I guess I dont count in the equation.

I'm just sad it's not there anymore, that's why I want to replace it.

My personal Goal is to be able to Run The Mk2 Jetta GT42 powered R32 haldex swapped. The car was featured in Eurotuner.

He's a local guy with friendly rivalry. An other firend of mine has a 620 whp integra type R.

When you build something like I'm doing, you need to not be afraid of spending like Mike was saying... I have probably overspent in a few areas but I dont really mind.

I do not run a business related to car, I'm in energy drinks... I do understand tho. I just wish I was closer to Wicked...
Old 03-27-2009, 09:41 AM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hey guru

hey guruman - if you really want the old wicked beast that badly, ill sell it to you for the right price. im even in boston, which is much closer than LA
Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not sure why you replied under that specific post but questions for you...

Originally Posted by SIMPPLY @ WMS
We have done near 400 B5 S4s at WMS. On most of our high powered/GT setups in the past we used big "port" heads with RS4 plumbing and other rs4 parts. On our 719whp Black beast we even went bigger by using a Ford throttle body,bigger pressure pipes and 1100HP fuel system using Gt2871s. Building these projects were getting $$$ and hard to find the parts with weeks of wait. We started installing S4 parts on the beast to test and see if we see any performance loss. The only time we ran into an issue was when we installed an OTS exhaust system. The restriction is not in the heads or intake. We have proven that with our laser GT s4. We ported a set of fresh heads with valve springs and 2.8 AHA cams. All the plumbing is S4 except the intake Y thats rs4. We ported an 01 S4 manifold and polished a stock throttle body. The bipipe is ots APR and the cool charged air comes from ER intercoolers. The heart of the 2.7 is the turbos : ) Our ASP gt kit runs 36psi and does 2.0 FATS with a pass with an acceleration that no one has done before.It has also done 40psi here and there on race fuel without any issues. Its best to spend your money where is counts, unlike other cars the 2.7 S4 doesn't need big heads or intake to make power unless your goal is 1000WHP.You can make 700+HP on ported stock heads and intake manifold. A true 700HP car IS A FAST CAR! the goal with this project was to push the car with basic parts that are avail and can be modded with basic tools and cheap!
If anyone is intersted in our parts list from the turbo kit to our fuel system, feel free to contact me.

G-luck
Not sure why you replied under that specific post but questions for you...

Would you mind sharing some pics of the ported/polished stock intake mani/TB? Do you know if AHA cams are the same as ATQ cams?

Alot of my replies here have been about 2.8 heads, but the one that you replied to was about Gen assuming or rather speculating that he knows concretely which S4 is the fastest/most powerful in the country. So it seems your informative reply would've been better placed under one of the other related responses.

Either way, if I correctly understand what you've written in that paragraph, it doesn't seem like you've disputed once that 2.8 heads can indeed make more power than 2.7's, like Shawn is contending. Rather it seems your argument is that 2.8 heads can make more power, but that it's not a good bang for the buck mod and maybe seems excessive until you're shooting for crazy power. That's it in a nutshell, right?

As for me personally, I found the 2.8 heads rather cheaply and for the money it's going to cost me to get a valve job and upgrade the springs I figured I might as well spend the extra little bit and have that work done on 2.8 heads instead of my smaller stockers. To a shop who does the porting/machine work themselves it doesn't cost them as much money for the labor, so then maybe the cost of the actual hardware is paramount. But for me when I'm paying $600+ for labor on whichever head I get and $700 for valve springs/retainers, a $400-500 cost for the used 2.8 heads seems like a drop in the bucket to have the same work done on the big port heads instead. I'm still going to be using the stock intake mani/fuel rail/TB stuff though.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

any updates?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Simpply for your respnse. Randy
Old 03-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by davenew
any updates?
no : ( no cars to play with.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rs4s4
Thanks Simpply for your respnse. Randy
If you have any questions, feel free to call us.

Last edited by SIMPPLY @ WMS; 03-30-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Would you mind sharing some pics of the ported/polished stock intake mani/TB? Do you know if AHA cams are the same as ATQ cams?

Quick Reply: For LA area folks that are interested in GT setups. This Sat March 28th.