S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

labree dp's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyS
Go to any major university, any of them with an engineering program. Find the mechanical engineering department. Go to the class on fluid flow, and try to convince them that putting all exhaust gases through a 1.75" diameter tube (wastegate shut, making max boost under full throttle) will make more horsepower than putting the same exhaust gases into a 3" pipe....

Oh wait, you'll put more gas through the 3" pipe due to high reduced back pressure.

If you dare to mail me a set of split downpipes, and 3" downpipes. I'll pay for the dyno testing myself, but I get to keep the pipes that test better. Do we have a deal?

I'll be sure to test the split pipes first, because I don't want to waste time with labor.

I'll test them on my car, same dyno on the same day using the same instrumentation etc.

Welcome to 2002. Its been covered and no need to test DPs for ko3/ko4s. The B5 market is dead and most shops like us are working on new products for newer Audis. Sure I do own a high power B5 S4 and still build B5 S4s : ) but this topic has been covered over the past 8 years since they have been out. Just STFA and you'll see.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes : WMS
Welcome to 2002. Its been covered and no need to test DPs for ko3/ko4s. The B5 market is dead and most shops like us are working on new products for newer Audis. Sure I do own a high power B5 S4 and still build B5 S4s : ) but this topic has been covered over the past 8 years since they have been out. Just STFA and you'll see.
Welcome to the 1800s when Bernoulli proved you were wrong before Audi even existed or you were born. Working for an aftermarket auto shop doesn't disprove the laws of physics.

Do this simple test. Go get a two glasses of water. Get a handful of coffee stirring straws and one big gulp straw. See how many coffee stirrers it takes for you to suck down a glass of water in the same amount of time.

Or you can just prove to me how the laws of physics and engineering don't apply to Audi's.

Have a nice day.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Welcome to the 1800s when Bernoulli proved you were wrong before Audi even existed or you were born. Working for an aftermarket auto shop doesn't disprove the laws of physics.

Do this simple test. Go get a two glasses of water. Get a handful of coffee stirring straws and one big gulp straw. See how many coffee stirrers it takes for you to suck down a glass of water in the same amount of time.

Or you can just prove to me how the laws of physics and engineering don't apply to Audi's.

Have a nice day.
Ok buddy. Its very clear you have no clue. Not going to waste my time on a pointless post.
You have nothing to offer the forum but your opinion. Hell at least EF does explain his case better ;p
We service/build near 100 cars per month. Looks like we are doing something right : )
Old 06-11-2010, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Have a nice day.

What type of pressure differential between DP's would produce a 40whp change?
Old 06-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes : WMS
Ok buddy. Its very clear you have no clue. Not going to waste my time on a pointless post.
You have nothing to offer the forum but your opinion. Hell at least EF does explain his case better ;p
We service/build near 100 cars per month. Looks like we are doing something right : )
Did you disprove Bernoulli's equation in your post or did I just miss it?

You have zero proof, yet insist I'm clueless. How convenient for you. Why not just post up a fake dyno chart at least.... Heck at least lie to prove your point.

Servicing and building cars does not make you an expert in fluid dynamics or even qualify you to discuss the topic.

There are plenty of tools out there turning wrenches on other people's cars. Anyone can open a shop that doesn't prove anything.

So what are you doing right, because it sure isn't knowing anything about fluid flow?
Old 06-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Flyboy
What type of pressure differential between DP's would produce a 40whp change?
one would need a whole lot more information to answer that like fluid velocity, reynold's number, fluid temperature, surface roughness of the pipe in question, cats or no cats, pumping efficiency of the engine in question, etc....

A real world easy to conduct dyno test would be way easier to perform.

I'll gladly pay for the dyno time.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

http://www.tantrumwerks.com/html/dpdynos.html
Old 06-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are we talking about K03, K04 or both?

It was my understanding that it's better if the exhaust flow is closer to that of the potential exhaust flow from the system. If a K03 set up doesn't flow enough exhaust, then the more open exhaust could act as a hindrance. If we're talking K04, then I'd definitely like to see which is the better set up.

There's a chance I'm wrong, but that's how I understood exhausts to work.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

one would need a whole lot more information to answer that like fluid velocity, reynold's number, fluid temperature, surface roughness of the pipe in question, cats or no cats, pumping efficiency of the engine in question, etc....

A real world easy to conduct dyno test would be way easier to perform.

I'll gladly pay for the dyno time.
So then why are you harping on disproving Bernoulli's equation when as you point out it applies to an inviscid fluid and the exhaust gas encounters friction affects?