S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Lame question, but someone explain the difference between forged and casted wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lame question, but someone explain the difference between forged and casted wheels?

TIA. Forged is better right?
Old 10-10-2001, 12:38 AM

Forged=Constipation Cast=Diarrhea
Old 10-10-2001, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Tire Rack has a decent explanation......

<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/construc.htm">Wheel Construction</a></li></ul>
Old 10-10-2001, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Check out Andy's link. But another way to explain it is this...

With cast wheels, the molten metal is poured into a mold and cooled. The Strata (kinda like the fibers in the metal) in the metal are all uniform, similar to solid wood (grain goes in one direction). This makes the wheels suseptible to bends in the direction that the molecules line up.

With Forging, the metal is allowed to cool slightly, and then is physically forced into the mold. This compress the Strata of the metal making less space between the molecules, and forcing the molecules in multiple directions. This makes the wheels much stronger, and since they are stronger, you can use less metal (read as weight savings) to make the same wheel. Think of how much stronger ply wood is than regular wood. The grain is glued together in multiple directions to add strength. Also, ply wood can be half the thickness and still provide similar strength. (Sorry for the wood analogy, but I think it works).

Forging however can't really be used for intricate designs. Therefore, all forged wheels are either 2 or 3 piece wheels where the rims are forged and the centers are cast. Also, since they are multiple pieces, the rims can often be replaced if damaged where with a cast wheel, you have to purchase an entire wheel.

Forged are generally more expensive due to the additional labor and process involved in "Forging".
Old 10-10-2001, 07:57 AM

Not all forged wheels are two or three piece if I am correct. Look at Volks for example.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There's no such thing as a one piece forged wheel. The only exception I'm aware of is the BBS RC

which is FER casted, which is a patented technique that yields similar results to Forging, but isn't really.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:32 AM

Default You are partially correct...

My message did not convey what I wanted it to. In your message you stated that "Forging however can't really be used for intricate designs. Therefore, all forged wheels are either 2 or 3 piece wheels where the rims are forged and the centers are cast. Also, since they are multiple pieces, the rims can often be replaced if damaged where with a cast wheel, you have to purchase an entire wheel."

My Volks may have been made of two pieces, but they are one piece now. They are not a typical two piece contruction held together by bolts, and the rim and centers are both forged. It is not possible to replace anything but the entire wheel. You may find the following from the Mackin Industries website interesting: "The Volk Racing TE37 by RAYS Engineering is the current line of street and race wheels in various versions. The main line TE37 is the forged aluminum version. Material is 6061 aircraft grade aluminum. This material is hot forged. 1st forging process is done with pressure of 5,000 kilograms per square centimeter. 2nd forging process is a slow process with 3,500 kilograms per square centimeter. The lip is also forged to 3,500 kilograms per square centimeter. This allows the wheel to have less material than other wheels, but have more strength and durability. "

The rim and center are both forged and then fused together to create one piece. It is technically correct that they were forged in two pieces, but finished they are one solid wheel.
Old 10-10-2001, 09:49 AM

thats gross
Old 10-10-2001, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Technically, if it is welded into one piece, I would still call it a two or three piece wheel.

That's just me. Also, I was not aware that they could forge a center. This may be new, or some type of process similar to forging.
Old 10-10-2001, 11:02 AM

Volk has been forging wheels for a while now, I don't think it is new. It's all semantics anyway.

Quick Reply: Lame question, but someone explain the difference between forged and casted wheels?