S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Legal Question RE: Vehicle Registration

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-1999, 11:31 AM
Jim L.

Default Legal Question RE: Vehicle Registration

Before my first test drive in my S4, the salesperson drove it to a nearby gas station to fill it up. On the way, he was pulled over and cited by a Sheriff for not displaying a dealer plate. The salesman didn't do himself any favors by taking a belligerent tone with the Sheriff.

During the conversation, the Sheriff made a comment to the effect that because of the citation, the dealer would have to register the car and sell it as a used vehicle. It seemed unlikely and I ended up purchasing the car that day.

Does anyone know the relevant law regarding this? I'm having an unrelated dispute with Audi now, and it would be nice to know whether or not this gives me any leverage.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-1999, 08:25 PM
Lance

Default Re: Legal Question RE: Vehicle Registration

I assuming that you would use that it was considered a used car since it had a citation issued to it but you paid for a new car. If that's the case, then probably not. The dealer is separate from the importer/manufacturer. You were present when the citation was issued and you heard the conversation. You still decided to purchase the car. If AoA did anything, it would be called goodwill. I wouldn't call it leverage though.

What has me curious is why they issue it to the car. In Michigan, it would be issued to the driver. Example; If I drove a friends car with expired tags (not knowing it) and was pulled over, I (not the owner) could receive a citation for a misdemeanor.