S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Lesson learned: DONT mount new tires/wheels at Pepboys

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lesson learned: DONT mount new tires/wheels at Pepboys

So I wait patiently to receive my Work wheels to get painted brilliant silver. They are simply gorgeous. For what ever reason I decide to have someone local to the mounting. Pepboys was the choice. When I picked up the car near dusk they looked great. But upon closer inspection at home, three out of four wheels had scrapes or scratches. One even had a 1 inch scrape midway on the spoke. So what now? Get touch up paint? Or try to work with those monkeys on getting it repaired? BTW, with the 18 inch Work wheels, and the Brembo 355 GT kit, it's a perfect fit.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default really sorry .. but WHAT would you expect from a such cheap place ?

i'd be ALLOVER them to pay for that .. you can def tell if they are mounting scrathces.
dealing with people @ pepboys, autozone,sears in my area makes me sick ..
audikp that bough my bbs wheels (with tires on) wanted to mount them on the car right away , so we went to sears ..i was ready to cry looking at them doing things ;(
Old 07-12-2006, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Sue the bastards.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

any pictures?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Tell you this much - I had a very similar situation with Mavis Tires when I had brand new Volks.

They mangled the lug area on three of them. I was very close to bringing them to court when they said there was "no way" they'd ever pay to have it repaired. I had other labor performed by them during the same visit.

So, if they don't want to pay to repair the wheels then i'll take my money back...which is exactly what I did. Called the credit card company and made sure that money that was charged never saw them. Just happened to be enough for repairing.

****ing bastards.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The tire place I've gone to for years now says they can't guarranty no damage...

I looked at the guy and said, "You're kidding, right?" and walked out.

Went to another shop with a good reputation, told the manager and he said, "You're kidding, right? I can't believe that's their new policy."

Needeless to say, I have severed my 10+ year relationship with Town Tire.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's becoming pretty common. There are many local places here that make you sign waivers about this.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is all about the mounting equipment.

Use the right equipment and nothing will get damaged.

Problem is, in this country, few people understand this and instead they shop for a cheap price. So how can the shops afford a $15,000 mounting machine if most people don't care or aren't willing to pay?

The result is that this sort of equipment is rare and you really need to hunt for it and make absolutely sure it is used.

Stephen
Old 07-12-2006, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default on the side note, the only way not to scratch the wheel when mounting is to

do a reverse mount, flip the wheels upside down and use rubber groumet to hold on to the rim. I have seen it done on HRE wheels perfectly no scratches whatsoever, and say if it does(unfortunate part), the scratch will be on the inside lip and it wont affect the look of the wheel!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BTDT..I try to find a shop that sells nice wheels to do the mounting. They're usually more careful.

Quick Reply: Lesson learned: DONT mount new tires/wheels at Pepboys